Dual circuit master cylinder

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

blueplasticsoulman

Dual circuit master cylinder

Post by blueplasticsoulman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 am

I'm trying to find a dual circuit master cylinder to replace the single that's on my kitcar. It's servo assisted.

I thought i was sorted by reading on Google that a series 3 Landrover one would fit. It most certainly doesn't. Incidentally, if anyone requires a series 3 Landrover dual circuit master cylinder, give me a shout. lol

It has to be dual circuit for the SVA test. When the kit was started many moons ago, it didn't. So i've got all 1973 1.8 Marina gear, that now needs to be adapted and pass muster in the modern world. My last resort would be to try a complete pedal box swap to another car but the Marina gear is already installed by the previous owner and the cuts in the bulkhead and wot not have been done. Could be a right mission to sort.

My current MC is the original single circuit lockheed one with 58mm bolt hole centres. Can anyone advise of a replacement that will bolt on?

Thanks very much

Chris

blueplasticsoulman

Re: Dual circuit master cylinder

Post by blueplasticsoulman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 pm

For anyone else that reads this, the answer is no. It can't be done. According to a brake company, there is no dual circuit master cylinder that will fit the Servo.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:41 pm

The servos are different between single and duel systems. You need to match the servo to the master cylinder it's meant for, as mentioned they are not interchangeable. Put an ad in the wanted, I'm sure someone has a complete unit.

blueplasticsoulman

Post by blueplasticsoulman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks. I'll do that.

Parts seem a little thin on the ground.

If not, im told that a MK2 8v Golf servo may have the same stud pattern and bolt straight in. If not, my mates got a lathe so we'll just make an adapter and pick up a servo from something else.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Try Mazda MX5. I was told they are a straight swap. Don't take it as absolute truth though, it's just what I was told by a garage worker but I've no reason to disbelieve him.

blueplasticsoulman

Post by blueplasticsoulman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks for that.

I thought about an MX5 for a complete pedal swap if need be. It's finding one in the scrappy so i can have a measure that's posing the problem. Plenty on ebay but a bit of a pain to order it on a whim and be wrong.

blueplasticsoulman

Post by blueplasticsoulman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Problem solved!!!

For anyone else that's interested, the master cylinder and servo from an Austin Allegro 73-75 are a direct bolt on. I've just received my shiny new old stock ones in the post. Master cylinder is tandem so plenty of scope for proportioning.

Happy days!

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Great stuff, can you share where you sourced them?

blueplasticsoulman

Post by blueplasticsoulman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:36 pm

The great bay of E.

I got lucky and found one in Athens for £30 with £40 postage so £70 all in for a brand new servo and master cylinder is pretty nifty.

Here's the pics with a part number:
allegromastercylinder.jpg
mastercylinderpartnumber.jpg
I haven't checked yet but one would assume that the original Marina servo would be compatible with the Allegro Master cylinder. Look the same to me on the face of it.

blueplasticsoulman

Post by blueplasticsoulman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Here's the same thing but made by Girling.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-ALLEG ... SwdjRavPlN

And here's the Lockheed one that i've got

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-ALLEG ... 1434739172