Are all A Series Sumps the Same?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Morris McKinnon

Are all A Series Sumps the Same?

Post by Morris McKinnon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 pm

I need to replace the oil sump on my engine I'm having rebuilt as it's full of rusty holes and was wondering if the 1275 Marina are the same across the range, Morris Minor, MGB etc even the A+?

Cheers in advance guys.

lock1506

Re: Are all A Series Sumps the Same?

Post by lock1506 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi Gareth I'm pretty sure the morris minor sump is different and I think the Maestro might be different aswell. A+ should be the same as the a series. Mgb totally different even compared to the 1800 marina but a 1275 midget might be ok but you would have to see them side by side to check bolt holes etc.

david painter

Post by david painter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:54 pm

It is my understanding that 1275 and small CC A series sumps have different half moon seal sizes. The Maestro sump is a different shape at the front where it is shallower. The Marina Ital is as far as I know the only one with the extension plate to bolt to bottom of gearbox
Dave
Attachments
morris minor sump
morris minor sump
midget 1275 sump
midget 1275 sump
midget1275 sump.jpg (4.86 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
maestro sump
maestro sump

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm

ah, I had a feeling the half moon seal area would be different but couldn't find anything online regarding sump differences. Plenty of info on transverse Mini engines but not in line. I saw a couple of sumps for a Minor on the Bay but needed to make sure. I forgot about the extension plate! ...and yes, MGB is 1.8 :-D
I meant Midget, honest :shifty: Cheers guys. Looks like I'll have to weld up the pan I have. I could just pinch the one from the project car but that too will be rebuilt one day so I'd just be robbing Peter to pay Paul pretty much.