74’ 1.3 dual chamber master brake cylinder

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

btorvestad

74’ 1.3 dual chamber master brake cylinder

Post by btorvestad » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 pm

I am having issues with my brakes where the pedal almost bottoms out quite frequently but I still have decent braking effect. With 1 pump I have full effect. Thinking it is the master brake cylinder. Is this a common issue? I am struggling to find the right cylinder assembly to purchase so if someone know where to get it or can tell me the part number of these it would be appreciated. It is the dual chamber version for servo and it is not the same as mentioned in the other recent thread on master brake cylinder. Single chamber seems easier to get hold off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilroy

Re: 74’ 1.3 dual chamber master brake cylinder

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 am

If the pedal travels to the floor on some occasions but is good at other times then it is definitely the master cylinder. It can fail to hold pressure even when not losing fluid.
We can get them stainless sleeved which is a better long term cure than a new cylinder which will still rust.
Best luck.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am

It’s not a common problem for Marinas, but age will always degrade internal rubber seals and yours could be 44 years old. Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic which means that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. The water/fluid mix lays in the master cylinder and rust pits form in the cylinder wall. When you start using the brakes, the rust rips the rubber seals and the brakes lose the pedal pressure.

As Kilroy says, it is possible to have the master cylinder reconditioned and lined with a stainless steel sleeve, which doesn’t rust.

btorvestad

Post by btorvestad » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks guys. I will check to see if someone in the area can do that work. With current labour cost I have a feeling that it can be quite expensive though. In case I decide to buy a new one I see that Earlpart had it in theie catalogue. Does anyone know who have this stock now after they shut down?

enthusiastic youth

Post by enthusiastic youth » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:50 pm

My TC has had a replacment one fitted before I got it. Not sure what the part number is for it....
I do know who supplied it tough.
My cars:
1975 Marina Coupe TC, ’’citron yellow’’.

1972 Dodge Charger Rallye, 440 Magnum

2002 Subaru Forester, daily driver.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 pm

btorvestad wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:14 pm Thanks guys. I will check to see if someone in the area can do that work. With current labour cost I have a feeling that it can be quite expensive though. In case I decide to buy a new one I see that Earlpart had it in theie catalogue. Does anyone know who have this stock now after they shut down?

David Kingerley of Obsolete Car Spares supposedly bought the stock.
http://www.obsoletecarspares.co.uk/

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:31 pm

David supplied an Ital one the other day, so it’s likely he’s got one.

btorvestad

Post by btorvestad » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Perfect! Thanks