Marina HL - YouTube videos of suspension uprights

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: beniboyz, Number 63, balmy, norway_triumph

mickthefitter

Marina HL - YouTube videos of suspension uprights

Post by mickthefitter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 am

I finally got my YouTube videos to upload. Both need to be seen in succession to tell the whole story, I think. The first is with track rod ends disconnected and me manipulating the suspension uprights, to try to determine if they are too tight or not.

Here - https://youtu.be/l_A135ejeRU

The second is after I've put things back together and taken the car for its first drive on the new 155/80 R13 Firestone tyres, (as opposed to 175/70 R13 Michelins with some worrying sidewall cracks) and I end up in a car park, checking out the level of self-centering on the steering.

Here - https://youtu.be/JvwwdlI8LzI

Thanks in advance for any opinions received.

Mick

Morris McKinnon

Re: Marina HL - YouTube videos of suspension uprights

Post by Morris McKinnon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:13 am

I would say it's dry spots in the trunnions. Another thing maybe, is the carpet catching on the steering shaft knuckle down by the pedals?
You should do more vids, you're pretty good with the camera.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks for the compliment, Gareth.
Hmm...I don't think the carpet is an issue. I think that would have been apparent when I was twirling the steering wheel with nothing connected up. I know when I had a Maestro, if I turned a corner with the clutch pressed down (I know that isn't the driving test way!) the steering column knuckle on that would interfere with my left shoe! So it encouraged the proper way of taking a corner, with clutch engaged - or learn to position my foot to the left of the clutch pedal!

balmy
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by balmy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:57 pm

I thought they didn’t look too bad. Though it’s hard to tell from a video.
I still stand by the old tyre theory as I’ve has this experience a couple of times and so did Ben recently.

Have you had the alignment checked? Might add to the centring and stiffness problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1974 Marina Tc Coupe - Blaze - nicknamed THE PLOUGH!
1973 Marina Citron saloon TC - VERY rotten
1975 Jensen GT - shoddy but quick
2008 Ducati 1098R TB21 LE 200bhp/99lb/ft of a monster on two wheels. All from 1198cc
1998 Laverda 750 Formula-rare
1997 Ducati 916 Senna - appreciating in value nicely still
!974 Honda CD175-awaiting resto - now stripped

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:35 pm

I was hoping somebody would say they didn't look that bad. Because the ball end of the track rod end is a tight fit and the track rod itself a fairly tight fit in the rack, something I wasn't necessarily expecting to the extent it was, I felt I could hardly expect the uprights to feel as though they were on ball bearings. I think the tracking was done by the garage that fitted the rack, but that doesn't mean it is right. I have some late 80s bought Gunson tracking gauges that fix to the wheels using bungee straps, and you measure for and aft of the wheel with a tape measure, and refer to a period chart in the kit for the toe in measurement. I haven't used it on this car yet but I can do.