Windscreen wiper does not return to its home position

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

btorvestad

Post by btorvestad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Hello!

My Marina just failed the EU-check/MOT and one of the issues is that the wipers do not return to their home position when switched off. Have anyone experienced this and have some ideas as to what the fix can be?

BT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickthefitter

Re: Windscreen wiper does not return to its home position

Post by mickthefitter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:51 am

Unless it's in with the recent changes to the British MoT, that would not be a fail here as long as the wipers swept the screen. I'm not really up on the internal wiring, but I believe the parking action of the wipers is controlled by an internal microswitch somewhere in the mechanism that has failed. I've owned a Triumph and a Mini that had the same issue - and a Wolseley Hornet that wasn't even fitted with parking wipers in the first place.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 am

On the underside of the wiper motor is a plastic unit which the control wires run into.

Firstly check that all the wires are connected tightly. If you need to squeeze up any of the connections, only take off one wire at a time, as it is very easy to get them mixed up.

I recommend you take several pictures on your phone to confirm which wires go to which connector.

The plastic unit is known as the “Wiper motor park unit”, so you can guess what it does. They can break with age, also the loom and plug gets loose over time, so the connections fail.

All the parts are available as they are the same as the Mini from the same year.

https://www.minispares.com/product/Clas ... 0160A.aspx

btorvestad

Post by btorvestad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks for the great description! This will make it easy to search for the failure and hopefully it is just that. I think that check may have been added on the 2015 revision in Norway.

btorvestad

Post by btorvestad » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks for the advice! I took the white plastic unit from another wiper motor I had in my dad’s garage and now it works.

Last edited by btorvestad on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 am

Good stuff, well done.