starter motor

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Austin A30 Man

starter motor

Post by Austin A30 Man » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:13 pm

hi just finished reading the on going starter motor issues, I am fitting my marina 1300cc engine & auto box to my wife's Austin a30, not been a easy task ! my problem is that the original motor that come with the power unit is not recognised by any body & say it is a cobbled up one, however looking at the pictures and posts it looks the same as everybody else's, [ Lucas m35 ] although I do not think there is anything wrong with my motor in particular {not tested} the solenoid is fouling the chassis member of the a30 so I thought that a power light slimline with the adjustable nose may be the one to go for what do other members think, or perhaps try a mgb motor in the car if the angle of dangle is different, it might just clear my problems. I wrongly thought that I could just ask for a replacement starter motor & get the right fitment, if only. David.
Attachments
049.JPG
013.JPG
011.JPG
009.JPG
008.JPG
005.JPG
004.JPG
002.JPG

MarinaCoupe

Re: starter motor

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 pm

The Lucas M35J is the correct starter motor for your 1.3. You can just see the bottom of the “J” in the picture. Can you describe where it is knocking exactly and when, e.g when starting, when accelerating, all the time?

mickthefitter

Re: starter motor

Post by mickthefitter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 pm

I don't know anything about Powerlite starters except what I've just read online. Never heard of them before. Both models they list for a Marina (one covers 1100 and 1300, the other just 1300; 1100cc would be a van) are said to replace inertia type starters, yet look like pre engaged starters, which is what you have. There used to be a guy came on here (maybe the thread you were reading) building a kit car with an 1800 engine, and I think he had a pre engaged starter but reckoned the teeth on the flywheel were bevelled to take an inertia starter, which was giving him issues - though his engine was tight and he began stripping it, but we've not heard from him since. Because your 1300 engine is in an A30, I guess the original A Series in there had an inertia starter. I don't know A30s that well, and if the original starter only just cleared the chassis, but I am guessing if you went down the inertia route you would need a different flywheel and a separate wing mounted solenoid. The other thought I've had is the A30/A35 classic motor race series, the A35 Academy. Maybe there is something online or maybe somebody you can contact who has dealings with these race cars who can advise you what to use. The original Marina inertia starter would be a Lucas M418G.