Car of the Year 1972

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

locost_bryan

Car of the Year 1972

Post by locost_bryan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:43 am

Wheels magazine Australian Car of the Year 1972 - why they didn't award it to any of the finalists, including Marina.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/no-car-of-the-year
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"

mickthefitter

Re: Car of the Year 1972

Post by mickthefitter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 pm

Quite interesting. Obviously when I was 19 and had my first Morris Marina, and didn't notice any of the handling deficiencies everyone talks about (in non-Marina circles) I must have been driving at 40mph on perfectly smooth roads! Not far from the truth really. I also find interesting the opinions on the Ford Falcon Hardtop due to the lack of visibility, especially with the high waistlines and small glass areas of a lot of modern cars today. I wonder what the judges then would have made of these? But today reduced visibility is fine because of all the crash protection on board. I searched for images of the Ford Falcon Hardtop and think it looks very much like a Mustang Mach 1 of the same year.

locost_bryan

Re: Car of the Year 1972

Post by locost_bryan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:00 pm

The Australian journalists had driven the UK Marina in NZ, and were quite smug about how much better their Marina was, with the lighter ohc engine and revised suspension settings.

Interestingly Ford justified the expense of making longer doors for the Hardtop by using them on the commercial van and utility.
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"