Tax and mot exempt

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Mistertay

Tax and mot exempt

Post by Mistertay » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi,
How do I find out when my car becomes mot and tax exempt?
Thanks
I don’t care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members 8-)
Morris Marina 1.7 mk3
BMW M3 Sport
Austin Maxi 1750 HLS
Kia Rio Strike

mickthefitter

Re: Tax and mot exempt

Post by mickthefitter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:05 am

As I understand it, both exemptions apply from the 40th anniversary of the vehicle's date of first registration on the V5C log book. With the tax exemption, I went along to my nearest taxing post office with all my documents (including an MoT at the time) or form V112 if there is no MoT, and got the taxation class changed to 'historic'. It doesn't happen by itself. If you don't do this, you will keep getting annual reminders to pay road tax and I've heard of people who keep paying it, not knowing how to apply for historic taxation class. With the MoT, if your car was 39 years and 11 months old (from date of registration) when the MoT ran out, you can't legally use it on the road without getting another MoT. But if it's gone over 40 years since the date of registration before the old MoT expires, legally you can use it, as long as it is in roadworthy condition in all respects and isn't extensively modified. You can still get busted if you've got anything wrong with the car and get pulled at the roadside. For this reason a lot of us still prefer to get our cars MoT'd. I had mine done around September time when the previous year's MoT had expired in June, and I'd still used it without one in the meantime, but with every intention of getting it checked before summer was over, for peace of mind. As such, it will always show on the DVLA website as a car needing an MoT, with an MoT history, like any car over 3 years old, but technically I won't break the law if the MoT expires and I keep using a roadworthy car. It's just that how many of us get our cars on a four post lift and go under them with a lead lamp, check for perished rubbers and brake hoses and look for wear in suspension joints? Then there's the issue of structural corrosion in old cars in regular use in all weathers (or worse still, 'barn finds'). All the guidelines can be found on the government website here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot- ... 0-may-2018 and here https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/ap ... -exemption

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:42 am

The tax dates are different from the MOT dates

MOT exemption is 40 years from the date of registration. See below for changing to Historic Vehicle, but to claim MOT free status, you need to complete form V112 as Mick said.

Tax exemption is from the 1st April in the year after 40 years since registration. So a car registered in 1978, will be tax exempt from 1st April 2019. If your car was registered before 1978, you can go tax exempt straight away.

On your V5C in section 7 write the words Historic Vehicle, sign the form and take it to your post office. They will give you a receipt and send the V5C to the DVLA. You should get the new V5C in about 10 days on average. If you car is taxed, you will automatically get a refund of any complete months unused. Don’t try and do it before 1st April as it will be rejected.

Although the car becomes tax free and mot free, you still have to go through the motions of completing the annual car tax form (online is easiest), you also have to make an annual declaration that your car is roadworthy, otherwise the DVLA look for an MOT certificate.

You can still MOT your car if you want, but if it fails you can’t use it until you get an MOT Pass certificate, you can’t just switch back to a roadworthiness declaration.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:56 am

MarinaCoupe wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:42 am The tax dates are different from the MOT dates

Tax exemption is from the 1st April in the year after 40 years since registration. So a car registered in 1978, will be tax exempt from 1st April 2019. If your car was registered before 1978, you can go tax exempt straight away.

I thought there was some significance with April, Chris, but the government websites do not make this clear! :problem:

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Because Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) is a tax and the Tax Year runs from 1st of April all taxation changes usually use this date.

MOTs are under the motor vehicle regulations and they usually use sensible milestones like year ends and year beginnings.