Sixty Years Of Morris book - and Jubilee ring story

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

mickthefitter

Sixty Years Of Morris book - and Jubilee ring story

Post by mickthefitter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:29 pm

I was given this book at least ten years ago, given it in the sense that it came packed free of charge, along with a '75 Years Of Rolls Royce' book, in an envelope along with a Triumph Toledo brochure I'd bought off eBay. I guess some guy was thinning his collection.

My sister has the Jubilee diamond ring from this period. My late dad's cousin Grace's husband Harry bought a new Teal Blue Marina 1.3 Coupe in 1973 and got the diamond ring with it. I remember the Marina in the 1990s when I sometimes visited my dad on a Saturday tea-time and Grace and Harry were there. At the time my only interest in the Marina was that it looked to be in very good condition, when Marinas were still seen but generally rough, and of course I had a 1.8 saloon in my late teens and early twenties and liked it, but I didn't really have any thoughts about owning the Coupe. Eventually the garage where Harry had his MoTs done failed the car on underbody corrosion, and said it couldn't be repaired, and 'took it off his hands'. They persuaded him to buy an automatic Mini off them, but Harry couldn't get on with it, and shortly afterwards his health began to deteriorate and he didn't drive again. I was pretty shocked the Marina could be failed on corrosion without hope of repair looking as good to me as it did, and in fact later my dad said either he (or someone he'd spoken to) had seen it driving around when it was supposed to have gone for scrap. As time passed both Harry and Grace passed away, and my dad, along with another cousin, were involved with the house clearance. The Jubilee ring was known to exist, and it seems Grace had wanted my sister to have it, but its whereabouts were unknown. Then it fell out of a corner of a piece of bedroom furniture, wrapped in paper (in its box) as my dad and the other cousin were moving the furniture downstairs! I think I've only seen the ring and the commemorative box once. Unfortunately my sister had the ring altered to fit her finger and there is something she has never been happy about since - something about the mount or even suspicions the stone was swapped - but its not mine and nothing to do with me. Of course I have reconnected with Marinas years after my sister got the ring, and years after I was given this book. I doubt Harry's Coupe is still on the road, but I've no idea of the registration number so I can't even check.

There's some interesting addresses on the 'Sixty Years' book - it was not posted to me from anywhere near Auckland or Waiheke Island, but definitely from inside the UK!
Morris 60 years20190114.jpg
Morris 60 years20190114_0001.jpg
Morris 60 years20190114_0004.jpg
Morris 60 years20190114_0003.jpg
P1140018.JPG
P1140019.JPG

LORENZO73

Re: Sixty Years Of Morris book - and Jubilee ring story

Post by LORENZO73 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am

Hi Mick,

Very interested.

Lorenzo