Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Re: *** THE GREATLY UNDER RATED MK3 MARINA ***

Post by JubileeNut » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Sorry! No No & No!

I will still have mine over a MK2 / 3
IF you look closely at my pictures I have 2 rear and front fogs plus driving lamps, headlamps are Cibie H4 Xenon so all halogen or better on the front with addition of closely connected twin relays and bi-wired to ensure the voltage will remain at 12Volts and not drop with up rated alternator!

Plus I will have an extra 3 gauges which includes a nice clock plus 2 gauges a MK2/3 will not have! :wink: I know you will say they are add-ons, which I say is part of the fun of owning an older car as now-a-days adding things like lamps on a car is no go due to insurance etc and normally manufacturers have learnt what accessories people fit and have already included them. Which would make the MK2/3 better, but not when a MK1 has all the added benefits and more.
As for the lack of illumination I think you will find the MK1 has only the correct switching accessories required for such a simple car and of which the Jubilee is more kitted than most. Due to there being only a few switches any good driver would know where they are without examining the dash in detail looking for a tiny glow of a switch, as by that time you will be half way up a lamp post :lol:

This is part of the reason I like the Jubilee as it has more extras than most MK1 but you have the benefit of a MK1 and not that hateful plastic cheap junky dash they put in the MK2!
I know the MK1 is simple and as you put it "workman like" but that is the charm of it the fact there are no silly angles and pointless brake test switch when a real man goes out in the cold to check all is well :lol:

My original Jubilee had carpet fitted to the lower internal door section as a protector from shoe marks etc - I will not put these on mine as it will obscure the original dealer label! But a posh idea all the same.

Plus you need to find a better picture of a MK1 dash as that one looks a little old and worn out!

Also having a triple dial dash with a triple gauge pod and a nice Moto-lita steering wheel with triple holes in just sorts it out a treat 8)

Also with the MK2/3 you need to carry a passenger just to change radio station!! Which can be a pain!
Having stripped out a MK2/3 dash at the breakers and also removing and refitting my MK1 I would definitely not swap it as the MK2/3 is a sod compared to the MK1.
Again the Jubilee had the nice cloth seats and yes very 70's but again mine is now Bradford cord (Wool) with vinyl and should be just fine.

The illumination of the MK1 triple pod is fine but I expect you are basing your comments on an aging pod which needs stripping and cleaning which mine has had!

IF a MK1 car is sorted properly then there is no competition :wink: (In my view!!) and I am sure you are happy with your pick.

We need a mix bag of people liking different models to keep them all going (Plus that means more MK1's for me!! :lol: )

Is that TC in that picture up for sale? I could do with some more spares :shock:
" Pru, Its Kicking off "
1973 Morris Marina TC Jubilee
2013 BMW 328i M Sport F31

The original northen boy

Post by The original northen boy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:09 am

Ay up Paul,
Thought more people would have chirped in on this topic but it looks like the two of us Paul are going to have to battle it out,and go toe-to-toe,so Ladies and Gentlemen,in the blue corner.........................

:wink: Ding,Ding seconds out round "2" :wink:

Well perhaps i'm being a little unforgiving with the MK1,i know that you have spent vasts of time and effort on your T.C Jubilee,and lots of cash too,so i don't want this to look as though this is a challenge to yourself to vindicate your actions on the time and capital lavished on your car a truly stand out example and what surely must be your baby,so i can understand that you will do what any parent will do and protect your "pride and joy" from any harmful encroachment to itself or sibling members.

Paul the T.C Jubilee is not a standard car but a limited edition,so yes the trim levels are slightly higher then the standard cars,but even with this taken into consideration the cars are vastly lacking on so many counts compared to the latter model MK3 Marinas.The extra gauges that you mention are simply aftermarket add-on,and yes i know you said i'd mention that :mrgreen: but we have to compare as near as we can like-for-like,i could say that i have fitted a 2DIN DVD-Receiver with USB interface, Navigation & Bluetooth built-in I.C.E unit,and that is better than the standard option MK3 radio/cassette to an Ital,but as mentioned this is purely an add-on we must work on the standard fixtures and fitment in the car from new.

The fact that the dash is dark is what you would expect from a car conceived in the 1960's,British Leyland sadly missed a great chance to introduce a contemporary instrument set-up but went for the dull tried and tested approach to cabin ergonomics,the austere set up was not a good selling point to the public and myself and now to many younger eyes seems simply puritanical in delivery,flap air vents,no illumination apart from the instrument binnacle and the worst fitting of a heated rear warning light in the history of car manufacture The "fits where it can" amber switch is awful and looks to be just planted in the first free space,this stringent approach engulfs the entire passenger compartment, the MK3 is welcoming in comparison,and has two now taken for granted features,the TRIP METER!!!! absolutely no excuse not to fit one of these,and an intermittent wiper feature (albeit via a manual flick setting) all Mk3 cars had inertial reel seat belts as standard.

Paul i know you say you find the Mk3 brake warning switches pointless,but it does tell you if the brake fluid is low,now that can't be bad can it now.The MK3 dash set up is divergent departure and the quality of it's manufacture is average at best but was comparable to the competition of the day (look at the Japanese stuff in the 1970's to see real acres of plastic and many of today's modern cars)

The fitting of front and rear anti roll bars (from the MK2 on) does go some way to addressing the cars wayward road manners,and on a safety front the welcome addition of split dual circuit brakes is another bonus,the well past it's best "B" series engine had now succumb to a new and pretty decent power source in the "O" series engine,the lighter engine weight again helps the cars balance and above all increase fuel economy,i have owned well over 20 Marinas and ital (never a estate or a convertible though) and driven countless others and from my experience are the best of all the Marina and Ital range (but the Ital's do drive better than them all) this is based on looks practicality and performance :wink:

Paul once again i thank you for your views and opinions and your time you have taken to debate this matter with me,and unless we have any more input from other forum members,we might have to call it a draw and say both fighters didn't beat the bell and come out for the third round,as i really don't want to become as one tracked on the MK3's as others are on the T.C's :lol: but again "each to their own (even if they are wrong) :lol:

Russ

Beckett Bros "and i would rather be anywhere else than here today" :roll:
Last edited by The original northen boy on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** "MARINA PICK-UP A REAL MAN'S VEHICLE" ***

The original northen boy

Post by The original northen boy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:40 am

:oops: :oops: SORRY Frank :oops: :oops:

Missed your post,the MK1 picture isn't that great,and truly this isn't a deliberate thing the MK1 interiors look bad enough with out that :lol: :lol: (oh what have i said you MK1 boys will be waiting for me to "have a word with me") simply at the time it was the only one i could find HONEST!

Yes i know the MK2 had reversing lights but i was making the distinction between the MK1's and MK3 and the MK3 had built in fog lights,and what's a matter with cheap plastic i might ask? never did Datsun any harm :shock:

I don't like the Mk3 wheel trims either but prefer the L trim to the HL and yes a set of nice alloys would have worked a treat,the black MK3 you had was a smasher,i saw it once after you sold it and then that was it,a lovely looking car (now come on Frank that car even gave the MK1's a run for their money even to you! :lol: )

Now this is what Marina's and Ital's are all about,yes we are different,but we all share a common interest no mater what mark of Marina or Ital, we prefer above all it's the cars and a common bond of kinship that matters more than any model designation. :wink:

Russ

Beckett Bros "no matter what sign you are" :roll:

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:15 pm

I did not realise how pasionate I was about my car!! :shock: I need to be after all the work!
But that is why I joined the club to find a Jubilee as it was the only model for me and I am happy to over look its faults! 8) :wink:
At least BL improved on some points, if they didn't then something would have been very wrong! Oh!! it was as they buggered it up anyway :roll:

It is good all models have their fans :wink:
" Pru, Its Kicking off "

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:16 pm

PS - mine also has intermitten wash wipe pinched of an HLS Ital 8)
" Pru, Its Kicking off "

The original northen boy

Post by The original northen boy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Paul,you have a car that you can well and truly be proud of,your ardent stance towards your car is totally understandable,a stand out example of the marque and the bench mark standard of restoration for us all to aspire to,and yes this is one particular MK1 that i would definitely make an exception for.

Russ

Beckett Bros "but last night she said to me while we were watching telly" :roll:

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Well thanks!
When you going to get your fleet moving then?
Is your pick up the one with yellow body work with large writing on the side?
If so looks nice from the picture I have seen 8)
Do you still come to shows?

At moment I am only picking shows which are close or not to bad to get to due to my little one but will try and get to more when car is finished.

Look forward to meeting you in person!

cheers,
Paul.
(Likes MK1's if they are Jubilee's and have lots of toys!! :wink: )
" Pru, Its Kicking off "

Uncle Frank
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Uncle Frank » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:54 pm

:lol: You certainly don`t go down without a fight Russ! :lol: :wink: , ok, ok, so the mk3 has a lot going for it over the mk1, HOWEVER!..There are a few retrograde steps that BL in all its wisdom took with the mk2/3/Ital models over the mk1 which i`m sure you will agree were not that good in hindsight...No1..biggest mistake, those stupid drain channels in the corner of the screens :roll: leaks everywhere! none of my mk1 cars ever leaked as bad as the later cars, No2..pedal boxes , fitting cheap plastic "top hat" bushes instead of decent bronze ones to the pedals..hence sloppy pedals on late cars with relatively low mileage!, No3.. roof seams left exposed instead of lead loaded, causing rust in the seams and generally looking a bit cheap!, No4..rubbish plastic/chrome gutter trims which go grey then split off, instead of quality stainless ones as fitted standard on mk1 cars, likewise cheap plastic mirrors instead of stainless items on the mk1 :wink: , No5.. again more cheap plastic, this time those useless end caps on those otherwise nice sturdy bumpers why not make them curved on the ends instead?..would have been so much better. I could go on Russ but that would be cruel :wink: ..perhaps these are a few reasons to upgrade your mk3 with mk1 bits! :lol: :lol:
MORRIS MARINA OWNERS CLUB.
WWW.morrismarina.org.uk
The original and still the best since 1985.

The original northen boy

Post by The original northen boy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:39 pm

Ay up Paul,
hoping to have some free time this year, i'm so desperate to get "Nell" the pick-up back on the road and get back into the show scene,once again,myself and the other Northern Boy's used to make a weekend of the events on a regular footing,out on the Saturday,show on the Sunday (always turned up late) we werw notorious for late arrival.

When "Nell" get the full treatment i don't think the graphic will be going back on, i'll have some stripe on her but not a fully fledged side graphic, Well here is a picture taken of her in full stage "2" performance stage (as seen in the opening sequence of the Top Gear Marina special at 45 secs,the Brookland green pick-up Tony Masons is leaning on was later own by me also,he also does his "trunnion trouble" sequence sat on the tail gate of her!)

Seems strange you can't believe how much i miss the old girl,and i will look forward to meeting up with you Paul and my friends old and new.

Russ

Beckett Bros "something old something new" :roll:

The original northen boy

Post by The original northen boy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:17 am

:oops: :oops: Must try and stop doing this :oops: :oops:

You are 100% correct in your MK3 observations Frank,(#1 on the subject and #2 on the "not going down without a fight") the Marina went on a seemingly non-stop quest to save money,it always seems to me what you were given extra was cut from somewhere else,the poor old Ital cut more cornered than Lewis Hamilton,good points were spoilt by inferior materials or simply the missing out of a treatment or previous procedure,but i suppose this was British Leyland/BL Cars attempt to make profit,yet keep the cars competitive.

The gutter trim is truly awful,not only does it dull and flake off it breaks! the MK1 had real stainless steel,and you forgot to mention the front and rear windscreen surround on the early cars this was stainless also.While on the windscreen subject the drainage alteration, that took place really magnified the water leaking,a problem already there and made it ten time worse.

The MK3 bumper end cap are just so poor they defy description,Sean (ado28) acquired me some of flea-bay for future use "because you now you're gonna need them"i have never ever managed to re-fit one successful,they always require some additional repair work.

Not to worried on the mirror,the "break-off" safety feature had a lot to do with their conception,but an internal adjuster would have been a nice touch,but the brake pedal bushes are yet another cost cutting exercise, these are poor but i think all the car manufactures went down the plastic instead of metal route,and i really think the later cars got the thinnest of paint coats possible (you can see missed areas in some cars!) no manufacture would dare attempt this bad practice today,but in 1978 this was still a tried practice.

The bizarre radio set up where only the unit can be fitted and not the outer trim plate is on the list of ways to spoil a car,next to the gear leaver that traps your hand when the dash ash tray is open.

The car carpets became more and more nylon as time went on,but all models suffered form poor boot trim,a black throw in place of carpet trim is not a real attempt to win a buyer.

And one more MK3 grumble,why oh why didn't BL do some wheel arch liners?,other manufactures were fitting them and would have been a real anti-corrosion aid......Oh and before i go yes i have "ADDAPTED" all the best MK1 fittings i could,best of both worlds eh! :wink:

Image "not going down without a fight"

Russ

Beckett Bros "once was a battle there,hundred thousand people there :roll:

Uncle Frank
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Uncle Frank » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:05 pm

:lol: Nice Squirrel Russ! :wink: .It will be good to see old Nell again, i trust you have kept her safe and dry all these years?, that was always a special pick up...one of a kind :wink: .

In Zaire, in Zaire! :wink:
WWW.morrismarina.org.uk

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Have a question for Frank then.
What should be done with the drain holes beneath the screen rubber - seal them up?
I think I found plastic buttons in those holes on a couple of cars I wrecked, but as I have screen areas to tackle, just wondered what the smartest approach might be.
Cheers.

Uncle Frank
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Uncle Frank » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi Kilroy, best answer is to plug the holes with a suitable sized rubber grommet, then apply a thin smear of `PU` sealer or silicone will do, then refit your screen with sealer around the rubber and the glass to ensure it stays watertight :wink:
WWW.morrismarina.org.uk

billytits

Post by billytits » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm

hi russ
i dunno russ i bought a brand new 53 plate fiesta several years ago and i didnt notice it untill the summer but i could see the primer through the top coat then when i looked a little closer you could clearly see the primer around the door frame and all ford could say was well do you plan to keep the car for more than three years so belive me they dare allright :evil:
Trev
done some work on my marina again yahoo

www.morrismarina.org.uk

The original northen boy

Post by The original northen boy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:46 pm

:D Ay Up Frank and Trev :D

We really must talk about "Nell" Frank she's really not bad basic Marina stuff (rear wheel arches,floor sections and floor to inner sills,small amount to load area) but never the less not vast amounts oh and the rear valance *** does anybody have one? cash or swap for parts or half and half *** she came of the road when i got the Ital pick-up that got stolen,and has progressively got more blocked in over time,she's been kept dry but has suffered two attack of vandalism while stored,

**** There is a pick-up under there! ****

The stuff in the back of her is all NEW B.L Marina/Ital just some of the stock i'm carrying,but alas lot's of this has been stolen i have only a fraction of the parts i had at one stage,and a great loss was a tidy amount of British Leyland S.T parts also went,but don't worry Frank the S.T limited slip diff is still there.

And what do i know? i can't believe that a "NEW!" car would come in such a poor state of finish,but as you said Trev it did,what was the eventually out come? did the fault get rectified,or did you just put up with it until the car was sold? I really thought this type of thing was a bygone relic,but obviously not,it seems so reassuring that in today's fast paced technological world there still a place for shoddy poor workmanship and inferior goods,well done Ford so it seems not every thing changes does it?

Russ

Beckett Bros " if i can't have you" :roll: