What did you do to your Marina today?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

david painter

Re: What did you do to your Marina today?

Post by david painter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:42 pm

He has done a nice job of that for you
Dave

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Gee tc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Very pleased. Can now claim it to be quite rust free.
It was just a weak spot that didn't really show itself when first done. Couple of rainy show trips an the wet got under a pinhole that'd been missed.

lock1506

Post by lock1506 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Used it for its intended purpose, carrying my autojumble stuff around and towing a trailer full of panels. Had some strange comments from people saying "You should be showing that not using it like that" Its a van and I use it for what it was built for!!!
002.JPG

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:43 pm

What I did to my Marina today was replace the shocks. PTH has been getting a little more bouncy over the speed humps lately so took advantage of the good weather today and changed them. While I was under there I replaced both the top swivel joints as one had some play in it.
one.JPG
two.JPG
three.JPG
four.JPG
On the drivers side I saw one of the wheel cylinders was leaking badly and on removing the lower shoe I took the lining with it! :lol: It was soaked in brake fluid so I wasn't really surprised.
five.JPG
The lower trunnions were still good so I left them.
Does anyone know if the lever arms can be serviced? They are pretty bad cos I can move the arms with very little resistance.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:21 pm

There are two things with lever arms, the bump and rebound resistance and the bushes keeping everything in line.

You can check the bushes for movement. There used to be companies that would replace the bushes, but I haven’t heard of anyone doing it for about 10 years, does anyone know who might rebush them?

The bodies can leak, but rarely. The internal valving shouldn’t degrade, so the only other element is the shock oil, which is available as it is the same as motorbike fork oil. There are various grades, there is another topic on here somewhere that details the appropriate grade.

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Re: RE: Re: What did you do to your Marina today?

Post by Gee tc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:35 pm

MarinaCoupe wrote:There are two things with lever arms, the bump and rebound resistance and the bushes keeping everything in line.

You can check the bushes for movement. There used to be companies that would replace the bushes, but I haven’t heard of anyone doing it for about 10 years, does anyone know who might rebush them?

The bodies can leak, but rarely. The internal valving shouldn’t degrade, so the only other element is the shock oil, which is available as it is the same as motorbike fork oil. There are various grades, there is another topic on here somewhere that details the appropriate grade.
I had mine leak through the seals but there wasn't any play.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes, I did come across a thread on here somewhere on how to refill them but can't find it now. Mine were leaking quite badly so not sure if just refilling them would work. I think it was coming from where the arm pivots, but is hard to tell as you can see in the pic, they are soaking wet.
Yes, sorry, the play I was referring to was in the top swivel joint of the upright leg, the swivel pin and the cup it sat in had worn. When I cleaned them up it looked burnt so they've been dry for some time.

JoshWard

Post by JoshWard » Thu May 03, 2018 12:34 am

If it's possible to get them refurbished it would be worth doing as the early 1971 type ones are getting harder to find now.
Club archivist/chief anorak
1936 Ford Model Y- On loan from the CCLP
1967 Triumph Herald
1971 1.3 DL Coupe (VRU362J)
1971 1.3 SDL Coupe (JGC240K)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon (OVW292K)
1971 1.8 SDL Coupe (MCU274K)
1980 Ital 1.3 HL (NPB34W)

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Thu May 03, 2018 12:48 am

There was a guy down the road from me who used to refurbish stuff like this, not sure about Marina shocks though, he used to refill Hydragas suspension and such but I'm going back over ten years ago now and the guy was getting on a bit then so I doubt I'll have any luck there. What about Morris Minors? I know they are different but for such a popular car there should be someone refurbishing lever arms?

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Mon May 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Working on PTHs sills today. They came up as an advisory on the MOT so instead of them failing next year and possibly involve replacing them it's best I look at them now rather than later!
20180507_180201.JPG
I'll give the welds a skim of filler and paint later.

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Gee tc » Mon May 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Morris McKinnon wrote:Working on PTHs sills today. They came up as an advisory on the MOT so instead of them failing next year and possibly involve replacing them it's best I look at them now rather than later!
20180507_180201.JPG
I'll give the welds a skim of filler and paint later.
Fitted a new FM radio, aerial and improved speakers . Much better now. Hope Josh approves. Image

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Mon May 07, 2018 8:25 pm

That's nice. Did Josh convert it to mp3?

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Gee tc » Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 pm

Morris McKinnon wrote:That's nice. Did Josh convert it to mp3?
Not on this.. I'll be using a transmitter.
I still have the first one from it that was done a while ago.. still working superbly but only mw/LW.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Mon May 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Those transmitters are pretty good, I have the type you plug into the cigi lighter. Got to have FM, though I think you get more stations on MW in England than in Wales so FM is a must for me. I can pick up three or four stations at the most here, maybe two at night.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Mon May 07, 2018 8:57 pm

There isn't much on MW in the East Midlands. Classic Gold is about all. Very period, but limited choice. I think you can get Radio 4, the odd sports channel, and at night the continental jabber but not really a wide selection.