What did you do to your Marina today?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

david painter

Re: What did you do to your Marina today?

Post by david painter » Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Loaded brown Mk3 Coupe on the trailer to take it into work going to put new Clutch, Slave Cylinder & pipe in it then try and remove trim to get it painted work diary looking quiet this week that may change though.
Dave
Attachments
davids i pone 2june16 003.JPG

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 am

Had a lucky escape - was moments away from having this burst. Feed from stat housing to heater core... it slipped onto the exhaust manifold on the Turbo... whoops. The car obviously didn’t like red pipes... replaced with a standard heater hose and re-routed away from extreme heat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Morris Marina Owners Club: Magazine Editor
'73 MG Marina Turbo Saloon - Back on the road with T16 turbo power
'72 TC Coupe' 'SLK' - 1950cc - Asleep - possible retirement project E.T.A 2049

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon May 21, 2018 11:23 am

Jeeese

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Mon May 21, 2018 2:00 pm

!The heater core pipes on Marinas were always badly placed. Even with standard engines those lower heater pipes are extremely close to the manifold.

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Mon May 21, 2018 5:09 pm

I think it would have been easier if the manifold was on the same side to standard. At least that way it would cross behind the engine, away from heat. The difficulty here is that the stat housing is on the same side as the exhaust and unless you have a moulded hose it has to snake around the drivers side and over the head into the core... I may have to buy some barbed fittings and make my own or find something that would cross at an easier place... I dunno, who would have modified Marinas...

Ben

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Mon May 21, 2018 7:08 pm

ah, right. Could you fit a fixed piece of copper pipe to the engine shaped like the original hose? you could then fit rubber pipe from that to the heater core.

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Mon May 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Good idea. Might have a go at that.

Ben

lock1506

Post by lock1506 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Moggy minors, A40 Farinas all run copper pipe along the manifold.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Well that just went swimmingly. I thought after May 20th you were supposed to be able to claim MoT exemption if you taxed online. I've just gone through the process of taxing 'NNN' as an Historic Vehicle as it now is, and nothing came up to tick to say it doesn't need an MoT, and at the end it just said 'You've been successful in taxing your vehicle'. So there it is. Some time in June it still needs to get an MoT at that rate.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 pm

You won’t get the “doesn’t need an MOT” message until your existing MOT runs out.

PHUQ

Post by PHUQ » Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Tried it yesterday- Pablo the Lada comes up as MOT expired, won't let you tax it (as it should), my Triumph is MOT'd and taxed and still shows as MOT'd, friend at work's GT6 is just out of MOT but still taxed and that comes up as "MOT- no details available" but with a green box. When he next comes to tax it he'll have to tick the VHI box but if the MOT expires before the tax does it looks like they are just assuming it's exempt until you come to tax it again, only then will you have to make the declaration.
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really, really horrible 1974 Black Tulip 1300 DL- Basically compost.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Wed May 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Sounds like the usual DVLA online cock-up to me. Unless something magical happens to the 'check tax and MoT status of a vehicle' page after the current MoT runs out on mine, I expect to see a big red rectangle saying 'MoT expired'. Of course I will probably take it for one anyway to get it checked over.

david painter

Post by david painter » Wed May 23, 2018 10:02 pm

I expect it will take awhile to all settle down and sort itself out. I haven't been testing this week but the lad who has, at work says the new system has worked well not crashed. Layout of fails a bit different and even on class 4 askes how many steered axles. Far better than the last time there was a big change. System has been changing daily over last few weeks, think they been trickling in as much of the new system as they can.
Dave

PHUQ

Post by PHUQ » Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 pm

mickthefitter wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:38 pm Sounds like the usual DVLA online cock-up to me. Unless something magical happens to the 'check tax and MoT status of a vehicle' page after the current MoT runs out on mine, I expect to see a big red rectangle saying 'MoT expired'. Of course I will probably take it for one anyway to get it checked over.
You won't, unless you reMOT it first, you'll get a green box with "No MOT details available" or something along those lines. When you come to retax it (assuming that your MOT expires before your tax does) you'll have to tick the box to say it's a VHI which means the system won't look for an MOT but that in no way stops you putting it in for an MOT if you want to. It just means the system doesn't care either way with regards to taxing it.
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really, really horrible 1974 Black Tulip 1300 DL- Basically compost.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 pm

Yes it is effectively taxed now until the end of May 2019 but the MoT expires either in June or July (I can't quite remember without checking). In fact the DVLA website ended my tax renewal session with a 'site under maintenance, please try again later' message but I got the email saying I'd taxed my car!