Mk2 1.8 HL Automatic update

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

david painter

Re: Mk2 1.8 HL Automatic update

Post by david painter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:32 pm

What about the heavy torque convertor full of oil bolted directly to the drive plate that's bolted directly to the crankshaft
Dave

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Okaaaay..... so that will carry the engine around then. Presumably the tinny screechy starter is still from a thin flywheel? I heard a Mk1 Cortina auto make the same noise at a recent local pub meet....and I'm unsure as to whether Ford's had their own automatics, or used Borg Warner. Not that it matters....unless you want parts....

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:30 pm

The auto doesn't have a traditional flywheel, just a thin flex-plate with the starter ring gear shrunk onto it. As David says, this is attached to the torque converter which adds the mass to act as a flywheel.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Okay I'm better informed now :D My 35 year old info about the flywheel being thin to account for the noise the starter makes was correct. The rest, regarding lumpy tickovers and abrupt stopping, was my assumption. Although at last year's Nationals I noted than Gil's matt blue 1.3 auto ran like a little sewing machine, so as far as the smaller engine goes, the flywheel was excused.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 am

I've just ordered myself a Borg Warner Type 65 cork sump gasket and filter assembly from a company called Vanmatic in Middlesex. I'm feeling in the mood for doing it myself, so long as I do it on a nice day, outside, when it isn't raining. Car on axle stands, of course. This company's name came up as recommended for the quality of their products on a Rover forum, on a thread discussing leaks on the BW65. And Vanmatic certainly seem efficient and knowledgeable on the phone. I've had it from several sources now that I have to inspect the sump pan bolt holes, as the material is very thin and domes upwards if bolts are overtightened, leading to the sump gasket not sealing. If they're domed, I've got to dress them back. Judging by the leaks on my transmission, they probably will be.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:52 am

Careful taking the sump cover off. Not sure if it applies to the type 65, maybe all auto boxes, but there may be some small springs with tiny bearings pressing against the cover inside.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:34 pm

I'll post a link to the Rover forum page tonight when I get home. I bookmarked it. Lots of info there. I think someone wanting to do the job raised that concern. I don't recall there being an issue with the Type 65. Nothing in Haynes or Autobooks either, but then they don't mention domed sump pan holes. They probably dismantled a new car.

david painter

Post by david painter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

The Springs and balls are inside the valve body sump just unbolts then refits without disturbing them
Dave

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Here we go....leaky sump....I found this thread rather interesting....but then I've got one to deal with!
https://classicroverforum.net/index.php ... lem.40959/

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:03 pm

I quite enjoyed myself today.
WP_20170722_10_15_35_Pro.jpg
I took it into town while the sun was still shining, a little bit more acclimatisation to the car now that it is actually usable. I didn't get a shot of it parked elsewhere, nose-to-the-pavement in a town centre car park after I'd done what I needed to do here, but somebody else, a middle aged man laden with shopping bags, was staring at it as I walked back to the car. He'd started to walk away just as I reached it and I shouted "You don't see many do you?" and I got the inevitable "Is it yours? Can I take a photo?" We were chatting for about ten minutes. He reckoned he'd not seen one since the 1980s. The man who belonged to the white Transit parked opposite in the photo was smiling, as he drove off looking at it, and when I moved off, a young couple with a push chair were waiting to cross the road where that tree is on the right. They were both looking as I heaved it round the 90 degree corner, and I'd got my window open so couldn't resist saying "It's only like a tank, that's all!" It made them laugh. And I got lots of other glances and stares of almost disbelief as I drove it through town in the sunshine. And that's what I wanted it for when I saw it at auction a year ago.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Feels good to be out on the road :thumbup: When I finally finished my 71 saloon I'd drive it to the shops which is walking distance... still do! :lol: Always nice to see the interest people show when out and about.

PHUQ

Post by PHUQ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Even as a bit of a petrolhead, it's great to see classic cars out "in the wild" unexpectedly. There's a couple of oddballs I see around pretty regularly but it still makes me grin when I see them. The Lada has a similar effect but the Land Rover is completely ignored except by other Land Roverists!
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really, really horrible 1974 Black Tulip 1300 DL- Basically compost.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:55 am

Yeah... classic vehicles are very subjective. When I bought this car over a year ago, before the true extent of its running problems began to show themselves, I was able to give it a little bit of local use last summer, and for the most part I seemed to believe that the incorrectly painted Wolseley Hornet that I'd owned before it was more of a head turner than this was. The Hornet was cream with a bright yellow roof - not a factory colour scheme - but it did grab the eye, as well as it being very small, with fins, an upright grille, and people who couldn't remember them couldn't work out what it was. More than once I got "I had thought it was a Mini at first"... from younger people who talked to me about it. And I've been on my soap box several times, writing to magazines about the inclusion of cars that aren't 'classics'. But the standard answer is, things move on. I've tried to define what makes a classic car, when I'm annoyed by cars appearing in classic magazines, that look too new to me, or too bland and boring, but it is really difficult because even I will concede that some reasonably modern cars have got interesting styling or qualities. For example, I like the Fiat Barchetta. And it is possible that the majority of people who will look at the Marina will be of a certain age. And that people 25 years younger than me are more excited at the sight of a 1999 3 Series BMW. But I honestly think that since all cars started having colour coded plastic 'bumpers', alloy wheels and became fatter, with thicker pillars and airbags for crash protection, the stand-out-in-a-crowd factor has gone downhill. Some people believe the Mk1 Ford Focus has earned classic status. They are still everywhere. Nobody looks. As far as I'm concerned, if I was at a show and a lot of those were there, it would look like a car park.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:19 am

Great to see it out and about at last.. :)

Have replied to the PM - sorry for the delay.
Pan gasket and filter are simplicity itself to fit, but if you wish to apply sealant to the spline on the rear coupling do so while the fluid is out - otherwise it can get a tad messy.

Congrats on your perseverance.!

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 pm

What have I done to my Marina today? Well - nothing. But I drove it yesterday. But I have created this board today to put on display, hopefully at the Ilkeston Heritage and Classic Vehicle show in a fortnight. I'd planned to do it last year, but ended up with the radiator and water pump out. I realise the significance of this car originally coming from Ilkeston is only relevant to locals, but it was a pleasant coincidence when I found out after buying it. I wanted to put more info on about the history of the model and the evolution into the Ital, with that being the last Morris car ever, but unless I made my writing really tiny, there wasn't enough room on this Wilkinsons picture frame!
Marina pics for uploading.jpg