Choke cables - are they obsolete for the Morris Marina?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Morris McKinnon

Re: Choke cables - are they obsolete for the Morris Marina?

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:10 pm

mickthefitter wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:56 pm Well, I've chopped about six inches off the inner and outer choke cable this morning, re-routed it the way it should be, over the top of the windscreen wiper motor instead of round the back, touching the inner wing, as it was, and I'm happy to report that the choke control is a whole lot easier to pull out to the full extent now, although I did also run some 3-In-1 type oil into the cable while it was freed from the carburettors. I do feel though that the extra length and indirect routing did have a big influence on the resistance on the cable. The downside, alas, is that the choke knob barely locks and wants to fly back in again now, just like it did with the manky old choke cable on the car before I bothered to change it....oh well, back the the clothes pegs then. :wtf:
Doe's the choke not lock when you twist it? If you need to I have a few proper BL chokes here but likely from the mk1. To be honest I don't know if there is a difference between mk1 and 2's. Like I said, the repro may be longer just to accommodate many makes and models so can be cut to suit rather than making different lengths of the same item.

mickthefitter

Re: Choke cables - are they obsolete for the Morris Marina?

Post by mickthefitter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:23 pm

It locks but - not very well. Blip the throttle and it flies in, mimicking an automatic choke where you kick the accelerator pedal to lower the idle speed. Sometimes you just have to say...what the hell. I've just been out in it. Aided by clothes pegs. Take a look at the 'HL update' thread for some pics.