Return of the Jedi.

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Kilroy

Return of the Jedi.

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:43 am

Now - you are going to have to follow me rather closely on this one.

I needed to sell some Marinas.
I really needed to sell some Marinas.
I have moved close to the beach and there is a nearly constant breeze off the sea which carries salt spray which rusts everything at an alarming pace.

First I sold this car to a lad called Simon..

Later I sold this estate to a chap called Ross..

That left me with a rather rusty sedan which needed all 4 doors replacing plus other rust repairs, but had excellent running gear..

Some time later I discovered that Simon had installed a very expensive MGB engine in the maroon car - only to have it written off after a rear end shunt.
He sold the engine and gearbox, and got a good payout from his insurance. He wanted to get rid of the body, so I bought the front seats from him to fit in my van..

After that, Ross bought the body from him.
Ross had meanwhile repaired the red estate and sold it on, but with standard wheels, keeping the alloys for the maroon car.
A few days ago this HL appeared on Trademe, and Ross got in touch to see if I wanted the body, as he needed the engine/transmission in order to resurrect the maroon car...

After some deliberation, Ross decided it would be easier to just rebuild the HL, and tonight asked if I would like to buy the maroon car back.
Dang.!
I could transfer all the mechanicals from the sandglow car - although I am not sure how well the rear panels have been straightened.
Guess I had better go and find out.

Seeing as how I already have the front seats..
Hahaha...

mickthefitter

Re: Return of the Jedi.

Post by mickthefitter » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:20 am

The lesser spotted Mk2 HL. Automatic transmission I presume? A rare beast indeed. With a crease up its bottom. Actually your tale sounds like the intro to the 1980s U.S. sitcom 'SOAP', except car based. Confused? You will be.

Kilroy

Re: Return of the Jedi.

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 am

Yes - the HL has a BW65 auto - serious piece of kit.
It also has twin carbs and MGB camshaft, as does my sandglow and rust model.
However, my sandglow car has an auto that has been totally rebuilt, and a 1903cc 11/1 engine which makes life anything but bland.
This is why I am very keen to find a sound body to transplant all its vitals into.

Perhaps I have now found it.
:)