Alternative commercial/coupe seats?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

doullama

Alternative commercial/coupe seats?

Post by doullama » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi all, looking to put some seats in my 10cwt, originals are long gone. It would appear they have two brackets which attach to a transverse bar allowing them to be swung forward, much like a morris minor. I have a feeling finding marina seats like this (commercial or coupe i assume) could be pretty tough, I do have some mk3 seats with sliders but don't really want to butcher the floor. Was wondering if anyone knew of other BL cars with a similar arrangement? Have a feeling minor might be my best bet.
Cheers :thumbup:

Morris McKinnon

Re: Alternative commercial/coupe seats?

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:24 pm

If the frames are still good you could remove the seat covers from the mk3 ones you have and slide them over your originals seats.

doullama

Post by doullama » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:31 pm

Unfortunately I don't have the original frames, I can only surmise how the seats are meant to be from the threaded inserts on the floor. When I last had this van a decade ago it had seats from a japanese car, as a teenager I never gave it a second thought but they must have been bolted through the single skin floorpan, with only 2 bolts per seat :o

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:37 pm

ah, that's no good then! :lol: I have the hinged brackets that were used on two door coupes if any good to you. They hold the front bar down to tip the seat forward. Four door seats are completely different.

doullama

Post by doullama » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Cheers for that, I should be able to make some up from a bit of steel plate without too much drama :) I assume they're just like this (excuse crude line drawing haha) where the seat just rotates inside the bracket?
__
____/ \

Was more wondering if any other leyland cars had similar seats, im definitely thinking minor as there's still plenty around and occasionally parted out.
There's a cheap (and road legal) ute not too far away, would love to get it for parts but couldn't bring myself to wreck a going concern :p

lock1506

Post by lock1506 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 pm

I did think about putting some MGZR seats in my van as they are near enough the same width but then I managed to get the correct replacements from Chris.

doullama

Post by doullama » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:34 pm

I just looked the MGZR up, don't think they sold those in NZ! we only got the sporty sort, mgf? I need to have a look at a marina sedan and see how the slider-seats mount up, are the floors actually different?

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:44 am

The passenger Van seat has a narrower base and the tip forward mechanism to allow access to the spare wheel which is stored behind it. If you store the spare elsewhere, then there's no need for the tip forward action. The drivers seat was always fixed back I think.

lock1506

Post by lock1506 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Sorry doullama, didn't know you were in NZ, some of our members over there might be able to give you other export options or visit the breakers with a tape measure if you aren't bothered about an original look.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:19 am

Kilroy had to break a car recently - he is in Christchurch

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:15 am

Mk2 Marinas - at least the HL - had adjustable seat mounts that bolted to the floor.
The Mk3's had them welded.
I am about to fit a set of Mk2 seat mounts to my 575 van and shall then be able to use the normal sedan seats which are perfectly comfortable.
The HL seats are cloth - so even more plush.
There is ample room to allow full adjustment range - spare wheel notwithstanding.
I shall simply move it to the load area.

locost_bryan

Post by locost_bryan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:15 am

I have a set of cloth seats from a saloon (probably Mk2), but no sliding adjusters. The reclining front seats have a bracket on each side, with a hole at the front and back for bolting on to the sliding mechanism. They've never been fitted into my Coupe, they were just sitting loose on the floor when I bought it.

(can anyone see my photobucket photos?)
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 am

In reply to your photobucket question..

locost_bryan

Post by locost_bryan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:10 am

Yup, thought it might be. PB have decided to start charging $400 p.a. for their previously free service, so an awful lot of build threads are now broken. :-(
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"

doullama

Post by doullama » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 am

$400 p.a seems awfully steep! Thanks heaps for all the info guys, think i'll keep an ear to the ground for some flip-forwards, really want to be able to make full use of the cavity, can fit an awful lot of stuff in there!