mini spares - fan belt Q

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

norway_triumph

mini spares - fan belt Q

Post by norway_triumph » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 am

Just too be sure before i stock up from minispares
is the fanbelt for the 1275 MINI the same as the belt for the 1300 marina ?

mickthefitter

Re: mini spares - fan belt Q

Post by mickthefitter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:49 pm

If you've got a belt on your Marina, aren't there any identifying marks on it? Numbers? Letters? I've never had a 1275 Mini but I've had an 850 and a 998 and there are lots of belts out there depending on engine size and whether on a dynamo or an alternator. If you've got some numbers on your existing belt and cannot match it up with details on the main Mini sites (Mini Spares, Somerford Mini or Mini Sport) try putting the numbers in a search engine, or even just on eBay alone. It might narrow down the field if you get a successful hit. In my opinion a 1275 Mini engine would probably have an alternator and would probably use the same belt as a 1275 Marina engine, but I cannot say for sure.

norway_triumph

Post by norway_triumph » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 am

thanks - should have thought of that myself :)

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 am

One more thought if all else fails - take your existing belt off, make a small white mark on it (chalk or Tippex), place the belt on a flat surface as if it were a wheel, with the mark in contact with the surface (visible though, so up the side of the vee belt) mark the surface where the mark on the belt comes, then carefully roll the belt along the surface until your mark on the belt has gone all the way round. Then mark the surface again. Measure the length between the marks on the surface with a tape measure. The distance, usually in cm but possibly in inches, will usually correspond with a number marked on the belt and indicate what length you need.