Drive train oil seals

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Chicken Hawk

Drive train oil seals

Post by Chicken Hawk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 am

Can anybody recommend where to get axle and gearbox oil seals? I have replaced the seals in the gearbox plus axle in the spring and the axle/diff keeps leaking after changing it 3 times and now the gearbox has dumped most of its oil through the bell housing. Iv been using Autogears supply's, has anyone else used th products from this company? Tia

mickthefitter

Re: Drive train oil seals

Post by mickthefitter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:20 pm

I can't comment in the quality of the seals you've used, but something to check on old machinery when changing seals is whether a groove has worn into the mating surface on the shaft where the seal runs. My experience in industrial machinery says even a bit of wear will affect the tolerances and effectiveness of the seal. Not so easy to remedy on obsolete car bits, sometimes in a factory environment we used to send stuff away to get metal sprayed to build the surface back up (though mostly that was where a bearing surface had worn). I had a new seal fitted on my Triumph 2.5 diff in 2007 but it would still weep. If you can find some identifying numbers on an old seal, or get measurements off it, it may be possible to get replacements from an industrial bearing and transmission components supplier, rather than go through the motor trade. Where I used to work we were supplied by Bearing and Transmission Supplies in Derby.

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Adz, Just don't push the seal fully home so the lip uses a new part of the shaft. also cross hatch the shiny surface with fine wet and dry to help the seal bed in.
Cheers,
Paul.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "
1973 Morris Marina TC Jubilee
2013 BMW 328i M Sport F31

david painter

Post by david painter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:37 am

Also make sure you lubricate the lip of the seal and the shaft with the same oil as its going to seal ie ep90 for rear axle so the lip doesn't get friction burns damaging it when first used
Dave