The old steering rack bush trouble

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

marcusthemoose

The old steering rack bush trouble

Post by marcusthemoose » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:50 pm

My daily driven 1300 marina has numerous minor ailments (carb leaking, a fuel pump that today decided to partially disassemble itself, multiple oil leaks)

However, there has developed an alarming (mostly for unassuming passengers) clunk from the front end every time I catch a bump or am at speed. This can often be solved with a sharp left hand turn- so I'm assuming the nolathane bush that was fitted 2 or 3 years ago has decided that it doesn't like doing its job any more. Since this was a pain in the arse to do the first time, does anyone have any tips as to keeping the little bugger where it's supposed to be- this is assuming that the bush is in any usable state when I come to disassemble the end of the rack- might bite the bullet and get a garage to do it again- MOT time is looming and I dont think the sound will fill the tester with confidence!

If you think I'm Barking up the wrong tree then I'm open to suggestions- although the sound is quite similar from memory to deep clunking and 'machine gun' noise when at speed that I suffered when the original bush disintegrated!

MarinaCoupe

Re: The old steering rack bush trouble

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:22 am

It sounds like the Nolathane bush has pulled out of the rack housing. If you can remove the grub screw(s) that position it in the rack, and squint through the hole, you should be able to see the red bush. If it’s not there then it has pulled out. I have had no reports of any bush wearing so far and some have been in for 10 years.

Kilroy in NZ had the same problem with the bush pulling out, he found that if you wound on full left lock, the bush was pushed back into place. You may then use an extra grub screw to make it more secure.

marcusthemoose

Post by marcusthemoose » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:56 am

Great Chris,

I didn't think it would have worn out, just pribably fallen out and didn't know if this was a known problem- seems it is. If I take the boot off the end of the rack, I should be able to push it back in no?

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:18 am

Yes if you take the boot off you can get to it.

Try drilling an extra hole vertically above the other one, for an extra securing screw, you can just get in unber the bonnet with a cordless drill, keep the swarfe out of the rack.

balmy

Post by balmy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:44 am

Easier to put one in from below.
I've done a couple on the car now. Put the new grub screw half an inch further out from the original one.
1974 Marina Tc Coupe - 1950CC
1982 Morris Ital HL Estate - 7600 miles from new
1992 Lada Niva Cossack - brilliant
2008 Ducati 1098R TB21 LE 200bhp/99lb/ft of a monster on two wheels. All from 1198cc
1998 Laverda 750 Formula-rare
1997 Ducati 916 Senna - Awesome
!974 Honda CD175-awaiting resto - now stripped

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 pm

That happened to mine a few months ago. I've used a sharp self tapper to hold it now but make sure it doesn't protrude through the bush.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:01 pm

If you drill underneath you can create a drain for the rack lubricant, drying out the entire rack.

david painter

Post by david painter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm

If you plug the hole with a self tapping screw, loctited in the rack lubricant wont be able to leak out of the hole.
Dave

NicolaT

Post by NicolaT » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 am

I hear a knocking when I go over bumps. I took the car in the garage and the steering bush has broken😡

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 am

Nicola - The old ones are hard nylon in a metal ring and break up or wear oval over time.

I got your PM and have replied.