What did you do to your Marina today?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

marina1300coupe

Re: What did you do to your Marina today?

Post by marina1300coupe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:03 am

PHUQ wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:33 am Yes, sorry, I read your comment "so in my mind this means that road tax should not have been required after the end of October 2019" and thought you were expecting a refund back until then which is most definitely not the case.

If I've read this correctly the car has been taxed since April 1st (and earlier) at the normal rate, they have finally processed the change to "historic" this month but you've only been refunded 2 months tax (effectively June and July). You should really have been refunded 4 months, April/ May/ June/ July by my reckoning. I'm not sure it's worth the pain of arguing with the DVLA for the sake of £26 though... And to be fair to them, the circumstances of late have been rather exceptional.
Hi Matt
The refund is for August and September, my vehicle tax always ran from 01 OCT - 30 SEP, so the months I am not being refunded are April-July.
Agree it is not worth arguing with DVLA even though the outstanding amount is £53. If I contact the DVLA via webchat nothing would be resolved and a letter, which I cannot be bothered to construct, possibly not understood by whoever dealt with it will not be attended to for months.

So regrettably write off £53 BUT a warning to anyone submitting a V5C at a Post Office for this reason, check with the person who takes your document that they fully understand what needs to be done and that they DO IT.

Thanks again for getting involved.

Ian

PHUQ

Post by PHUQ » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 am

marina1300coupe wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:03 am
PHUQ wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:33 am Yes, sorry, I read your comment "so in my mind this means that road tax should not have been required after the end of October 2019" and thought you were expecting a refund back until then which is most definitely not the case.

If I've read this correctly the car has been taxed since April 1st (and earlier) at the normal rate, they have finally processed the change to "historic" this month but you've only been refunded 2 months tax (effectively June and July). You should really have been refunded 4 months, April/ May/ June/ July by my reckoning. I'm not sure it's worth the pain of arguing with the DVLA for the sake of £26 though... And to be fair to them, the circumstances of late have been rather exceptional.
Hi Matt
The refund is for August and September, my vehicle tax always ran from 01 OCT - 30 SEP, so the months I am not being refunded are April-July.
Agree it is not worth arguing with DVLA even though the outstanding amount is £53. If I contact the DVLA via webchat nothing would be resolved and a letter, which I cannot be bothered to construct, possibly not understood by whoever dealt with it will not be attended to for months.

So regrettably write off £53 BUT a warning to anyone submitting a V5C at a Post Office for this reason, check with the person who takes your document that they fully understand what needs to be done and that they DO IT.

Thanks again for getting involved.

Ian
Sorry Ian, I understand now. Yes, you are being short changed in my book. It took them ages to process my application (I have a 1973 built but 1974 registered car so had a dating cert from the club) but when they eventually did get it sorted I got my tax refunded back to April.
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really, really horrible 1974 Black Tulip 1300 DL- Basically compost.

Daveylozzy

Post by Daveylozzy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:06 am

Has anyone fitted this type of distributor to their O series engine?
Attachments
706F90CA-7B9C-4711-945B-3301AD7262EB.jpeg

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:36 am

What is it off?

Daveylozzy

Post by Daveylozzy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:33 am

It’s a 65D distributor. It was advertised as for a Leyland Daf 200/400 series 2ltr petrol. The cog drive is the same and the shaft length is also the same. The clamp tho is very different. I had to fashion a 25D dissy clamp to fit. I believe these distributors are fitted to the late spi minis.
I’m only asking as to see if anyone had problems with them if fitted. If fitted!

Daveylozzy

Post by Daveylozzy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:48 am

I forgot to add. That’s not it clamped fully down at this point in the photo. I was in the process of adding a secondary 'C' clamp to stop the dissy from Potentially popping out. Anyway the engine misses a beat at idle (not sure if this did this before) but it revs and runs well. I’m only asking to see if anyone knows of any pitfalls in what I’ve done.

david painter

Post by david painter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Providing you have a similar advance curve it can only be a plus as you have got rid of the points and condensor . A quick look at the wiring suggests its reluctor triggered with built in amplifier this was generally a very reliable system . The idle misfire will need a bit of Diagnosis a good quick to check if it is ignition is connect a timing strobe light to each plug lead in turn and see if the flashes are constant. This will allow you to establish which cylinder is the cause of the problem providing it is a ignition fault. In my opinion it is unlikely to to be the reluctor or the amplifier as these generally work or they dont.
Dave

Daveylozzy

Post by Daveylozzy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Thanks for that David. I really have set the dissy up by rough estimate. If I turn the dissy one way or the other it starts to run badly. I Also put it in high gear and flattened the accelerator and it does not ‘Pink’. Revs freely and thus far runs well.

david painter

Post by david painter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:01 pm

If you are setting timing on the road i would set t so that it just pinks as you describe then knock it back slightly will be about the optimum
Dave

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Been dressing up the Jubilee for my Niece's wedding next Saturday.
Hopefully we will still be OK to do most of the wedding but who knows what will change ?
[image]
DSC09994.jpg
[/image]

[image]
DSC09996.jpg
[/image]

[image][/image]
DSC09995.jpg
[image][/image]
DSC09997.jpg
[image][/image]
DSC09993.jpg
[image][/image]
DSC09992.jpg
Also check all the tuning and general items to make sure it runs perfectly.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "
1973 Morris Marina TC Jubilee
2013 BMW 328i M Sport F31

drinud

Post by drinud » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Been dressing up the Jubilee for my Niece's wedding next Saturday.
Hopefully we will still be OK to do most of the wedding but who knows what will change ?

Covid or niece changing her mind? :lol:

Car looks awesome :clap:
September 1977 Morris Marina 1.3 Coupe
September 1977 Morris Marina 1.8 Saloon

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:32 pm

Yep I did not make that clear :thumbup: and I hope my Niece will not change her mind!! But definitely uncertainty with Covid.
Thanks for the compliment. Just hope she likes it, it was her request but she has never been in it so that may change :o
" Pru, Its Kicking off "

locost_bryan

Post by locost_bryan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:00 pm

At least the Marina has a roomy back seat, so she should have room for her frilly dress and train.

Jubilee looks great! :thumbup:
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"

fruity

Post by fruity » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:30 pm

Looking fab Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1974 1.3 Tundra green coupe

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Thanks Fruity. As next year is a big year for the Marina, wonder what the chances are for getting more than 2 Jubilees at the same event? It will depend on where if Chris Wilson will go. I know he used to drive to Peterborough and stay with friends. Then there is yours, and Lorenzo's if it is still in the UK. God knows where the others are.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "