Cheapest Marina car insurance

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

The Breaker

Cheapest Marina car insurance

Post by The Breaker » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:48 pm

Hi Every one

Won the auction on a 1971 1800cc saloon Marina for just under 1.5K

Best price I have found is with "Lancaster insurance" done though "Money Supermarker" at £86.64 fully comp ( the price was £139.10 direct with "Lancaster insurance")

But this is fully comp so can we do better on the price as I see no one offering 3rd party only or 3rd party fire and theft?

Thanks

MarinaCoupe

Re: Cheapest Marina car insurance

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:37 pm

£80-£90 is a good price for 12 months Comp cover.

Third Party (Act only) or TPF&T is very rare these days, usually only available on request from most insurers.

PHUQ

Post by PHUQ » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:28 am

Classic insurance policies are generally cheaper than a normal modern car policy, but I think are pretty much all fully comprehensive. They're is because generally classic cars are better cared for, driven more cautiously, and not driven as many miles or during busy times/ on busy roads when compared to an "average" car so are a lower risk. I suspect very few people with classic cars would want TPO or TPFT anyway, most go the other way and pay a little extra for an agreed value which a) means the car is less likely to be written off in the result of an accident b) if it is, the payout is actually enough to buy a replacement in similar order.

I'd say you've got a good price there and you'll struggle to get anything much less, but Peter James are always worth a try (not on comparison sites).
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really, really horrible 1974 Black Tulip 1300 DL- Basically compost.

IVOR DENNEY

Post by IVOR DENNEY » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:49 pm

Hi I have got my TC Insured with HAGERTY fully comp agreed value break down cover and I pay £109.

The Breaker

Post by The Breaker » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:31 pm

MarinaCoupe wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:37 pm Third Party (Act only) or TPF&T is very rare these days, usually only available on request from most insurers.
I know its all part of the motoring scam! But how to you request 3rd party only if they say they only do full comp

The Breaker

Post by The Breaker » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:35 pm

IVOR DENNEY wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:49 pm Hi I have got my TC Insured with HAGERTY fully comp agreed value break down cover and I pay £109.
Again they are selling you other stuff in there that you may not need; it legalised theft!

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:26 pm

The Breaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:31 pm
MarinaCoupe wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:37 pm Third Party (Act only) or TPF&T is very rare these days, usually only available on request from most insurers.
I know its all part of the motoring scam! But how to you request 3rd party only if they say they only do full comp
Pick up the phone.

The Breaker

Post by The Breaker » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:28 pm

MarinaCoupe wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:26 pm
Pick up the phone.
The answer with HAGERTY'S was No! and they are to important to give a reason either.

End of the day they like the rest of curupt goverments and mega corps are all cut from the same cloth (daylight robbery)

PHUQ

Post by PHUQ » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:03 pm

I'm not paranoid, they really are out to get me...

I'm not sure why you're making such a big deal of this. It's all a game of risk (and, like all games of that ilk, the statistical probabilities are weighted and the game balanced in the dealer's favour- that's not a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, it's just business). However I think the classic car insurance is one of the most reasonable corners of the insurance world, especially if you pick one of the small companies.
I have a suspicion that people who are obviously "cheap" are actually often considered a higher risk (TPO = don't care about the car= don't care about how they drive the car = higher risk = more expensive policy). This also applies with very cheap cars, they're statistically a higher risk for the same reason. When shopping for modern car (and motorbike) insurance TPFT is often more expensive than fully comp and as already noted most classic insurers don't even offer it because they, not unreasonably, assume that any classic car owner will care enough about their car to ensure it's adequately covered. You will be able to get a "modern" TPFT policy (and build NCB, which you don't on a classic policy) but you'll be dealing with a more mainstream insurer who, as they won't have the data to properly calculate your risk, will just load the policy to make it less of a gamble for them- hence the more expensive quotes on the comparison sites.

As already noted, you've got a pretty decent offer on the table already. I wouldn't expect you to get anything much less than that, maybe £5 or so if you shop around.
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really, really horrible 1974 Black Tulip 1300 DL- Basically compost.

The Breaker

Post by The Breaker » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:09 pm

And that is why I am getting a classic car to get out of the scam of the system enslaving us by removing our rights to free travel and to roam the land as much as I can but there is still the scam element attached.

But in all reason one would expect to pay a fraction of that for 3rd part only

marina1300coupe

Post by marina1300coupe » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:13 am

The Breaker wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:28 pm
MarinaCoupe wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:26 pm
Pick up the phone.
The answer with HAGERTY'S was No! and they are to important to give a reason either.

End of the day they like the rest of curupt goverments and mega corps are all cut from the same cloth (daylight robbery)
When I contacted HAGERTY for a quote in 2015 the answer was also No, but a reason was given, they insisted on the policyholder owning another vehicle.

Ian

The Breaker

Post by The Breaker » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:42 pm

marina1300coupe wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:13 am When I contacted HAGERTY for a quote in 2015 the answer was also No, but a reason was given, they insisted on the policyholder owning another vehicle.
But you owning another vehicle has nothing to do with why you cant have 3rd party only! or am I missing something?

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:07 pm

From an insurers perspective, if you have a modern car as well, they assume that you will use that as your everyday car, which has the effect of reducing the miles you put on your Classic car. The less mileage you do, the lower the risk of you having an accident in the Classic car. Although with Act Only or Third Party Fire & Theft, they carry little or no risk of paying out on the Classic, they still have to calculate the risk of paying out on damage to other vehicles and/or buildings, road furniture and third person injury claims (whiplash etc.)

It’s the main reason that Classic cover is cheaper, lower miles per year means lower risk of having an accident, so lower premium. Insurers assume you will drive about 10,000 miles per year in a modern, but most Classic policies assume around 3,000 miles per year.

The Breaker

Post by The Breaker » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:50 am

MarinaCoupe wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:07 pm From an insurers perspective, if you have a modern car as well, they assume that you will use that as your everyday car, which has the effect of reducing the miles you put on your Classic car. The less mileage you do, the lower the risk of you having an accident in the Classic car. Although with Act Only or Third Party Fire & Theft, they carry little or no risk of paying out on the Classic, they still have to calculate the risk of paying out on damage to other vehicles and/or buildings, road furniture and third person injury claims (whiplash etc.)

It’s the main reason that Classic cover is cheaper, lower miles per year means lower risk of having an accident, so lower premium. Insurers assume you will drive about 10,000 miles per year in a modern, but most Classic policies assume around 3,000 miles per year.
So you are telling me that owners of classics dont bother (in general) putting claims in for fire or theft or damage they have done to them selfs in an accident in the name of fully comp?

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:04 am

What I said was, “little or no risk of paying out on the classic”. To expand on that. No risk at all if third party (Act only) only, as your car is only covered for the damage that it does to other vehicles etc. Little risk of fire and theft as the number of thefts of classics and the number of car fires are very low compared to modern cars.

Can I ask you a question? If all you can buy is a comprehensive policy because that’s all that’s being offered, why not just bite the bullet and buy it? Insurers are not obliged to offer act only or TPF&T if they don’t want to. Personally in the event of an accident in my Marina, I would want the insurers to pay for the damage to my car, because the costs of repair will be many times the premium that I pay.