Help please, indictors wont work

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

RemyNZ

Help please, indictors wont work

Post by RemyNZ » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

hiya i put a stereo in my 77 marina today and now i have no indicators, the wiring was done by the previous owner so all i had to do was connect the 3 wires to the stereo and speakers. after doing so iv got no indicators, horn/wiper/highbeams/ hazards all work sweet just the indicators wont work, i swapped the flashers around for the hazards and indictors and they both work for the hazards only, would anyone have an idea on what i should look at next? iv tested and replaced the fuses and theyre sweet.

Mandator

Re: Help please, indictors wont work

Post by Mandator » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

Did the indicators work prior to fitting the Stereo? If yes, my suggestion is go back to that point and forget about fitting the stereo that way.

Me: I am no auto electrician and like to keep things "simple". When I have fitted auxiliaries in the past I run a new Positive line off the Battery using appropriate rated wire, to a fuse box/canister, on a new distribution board under the glove box or similar.
connected to the fuse are connectors /sockets that can then feed new accessories a positive supply.
Parallel to this I also run a Negative wire from the body of the car to connectors/sockets on the distribution board, to provide the earth for said accessory.
On my distribution board I also mount an auxiliary, self contained, unit containing Voltage Meter, Cigarette Lighter Socket and USB Ports
The Voltage Meter is especially handy as it allows me to monitors the state of the battery under charge and load!
Why this way? It keeps the car original and faults are easy to rectify, plus no chance of getting weird faults on the existing wiring loom/circuitry, or indeed overloading it!

Purist might throw up hands in horror but I have never had a problem particularly as I fuse the Auxiliary line and choose the wire rating very carefully and am very careful to use proper connectors! In addition I route the Auxiliary line carefully and prevent movement with ties or tape.
Plus I fuse the positive lines to the gizmos.
As long as the Wire Amperage Ratings exceed the total needed by the accessories, there should be no problem. Don't forget to fuse each individual accessory with the stated fuse rating to protect everything!

I stress this is the way I have fitted extras but others might disagree and suggest other/better methods!

RemyNZ

Post by RemyNZ » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

yes everything worked prior, i ended up taken the stereo out and still had no indicators. iv found the issue was with the hazards im pretty sure.
got everything working until hazards get turn on then off then to get the indicators to work i just have to move the wires around in behind the hazards, so im going to clean it all up and if that doesnt work then replace the switch as im sure this is the issue.

have since wired the stero back in and it works, same with the indicators until the hazards are switched on and off then have to just fiddle with wires to make them work.

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:04 am

I had hazards fail when the connectors on the back of the switch were either not a good fit or had slipped partially off causing the switch to get hot and deform meaning the contacts were out of alignment. corrected the crimp terminals and cleaned then and fitted new switch and all is good.
This was only hazards that failed not indicators.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "
1973 Morris Marina TC Jubilee
2013 BMW 328i M Sport F31

david painter

Post by david painter » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:29 am

]In the Hazard warning light switch there is changeover contacts that allow all four lights to light at the same time when in on position and switch to single side light when switched off it also switches the flasher unit between constant live hazard and ignition live indicators when switch is activated often on old systems switch the hazard switch off and on several times will restore correct operation. When things dont work after working in the area
it is most likely connections on switch have been disturbed I would start fault finding in that area
Dave
hazard switch.JPG
hazard switch.JPG (14.48 KiB) Viewed 23047 times

Mandator

Post by Mandator » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 pm

I had a problem with my Indicators. Did all the checks, Checked the fuse visually no probs, the flasher units worked, checked the column stalk switches and the wiring - still no dice. Decided to check the fuse again - this time with a multimeter. Yep, you guessed it, broken fuse at the end not visible through the glass sleeve. ;)