front drainage tubes

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

marcusthemoose

front drainage tubes

Post by marcusthemoose » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:41 pm

For my marinas impending MOT i have had to have some welding done in the front footwells- where the a pillar/inner sill meets the floor. when it rains (and the car is stationary) water flows in through the rust holes that grow ever larger. i am assuming the water is running from where the drainage tubes (which are missing on my car at the front) come from, and then down the a post and pooling at the base until it has rotted it out.

question being: where should these drainage tubes be? i assume they run out the holes in the bonnet shuts, much like the rear ones do in the boot shuts, but where does the other end go?

also, how easy are these to refit? now the welding is done, i'm kind of keen not to have to get it done again- someone said to me it might be a screen out job?

thanks in advance

JoshWard

Re: front drainage tubes

Post by JoshWard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Yes the other ends sit in the corners of the front windscreen so probably a screen out job. The other way is to seal the screen up properly so it won't leak then there's no need for the drainage tubes.
Club archivist/chief anorak
1936 Ford Model Y- On loan from the CCLP
1967 Triumph Herald
1971 1.3 DL Coupe (VRU362J)
1971 1.3 SDL Coupe (JGC240K)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon (OVW292K)
1971 1.8 SDL Coupe (MCU274K)
1980 Ital 1.3 HL (NPB34W)

Uncle Frank
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Re: front drainage tubes

Post by Uncle Frank » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Pretty much do as Josh has suggested, fill the drain holes with a grommet and seal the screen properly, job done ;) , the drain system only made things worse as the tubes went brittle and fell out, letting the water inside the car :rolls:
MORRIS MARINA OWNERS CLUB.
WWW.morrismarina.org.uk
The original and still the best since 1985.