What did you do to your Marina today?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Re: What did you do to your Marina today?

Post by JubileeNut » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:06 am

Hi Tony, i checked the circuit and the rev counter is a secondary circuit so if it was taken out or disconnected the car should still work but the coil and condensor would cause the engine to faulter and also the rev counter that is fed off the signal to also follow.
Also there is a possiblilty of ignition switch causeing a glitch.
I will check the condensor and points first.
Thanks for your advice Ivor, i think i am on the same thoughts as you.

Intermitten faults are the worst to find unless they become more regular.
Thanks to all for posting
Regards,
Paul.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "
1973 Morris Marina TC Jubilee
2013 BMW 328i M Sport F31

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:08 am

Just took out the condenser which I now remember changing soon after I restored the car because I had a running issue which turned out to be points closed up. So I had removed a good condenser and replaced with an AC delco type. Well this has done about 8 years and when I removed this I found the end cap had started to blow and expand so I guess the capacitor has dried out. It still reads about 260nF but as it probably is dry and starting to break down I suspect this may be the issue.
I still have the original one which was removed early on and is still OK. IT is now in place and working. Looks perfect and has made in England stamped on it ;-) This one reads 200nF.
No idea what the condenser is meant to read in capacitance but both work just one may have decided to pop.

Strange the Delco one still works but caps like this have a short life normally.
DSC09104.JPG
Focus was being a bummer on the camera but you can see the end has popped away about 180 degrees around the circumference. You can press this in and out. May take it to work tomorrow and see when it breaks down on a flash test.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:10 am

So I have only changed one item nothing else. I will see if it does anything strange.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:45 pm

I'm trying to upload a video to YouTube of me tugging the suspension uprights back and forth, so you can tell me if they're tight or not, and it's like pulling teeth, it's so slow to upload. And I just did another video on my phone, in an open car park, to try to demonstrate how the steering nearly but not quite self centres, to ask if that's normal. But the steering is so much easier with 155 tyres on instead of old Michelin 175s, and the car feels much nicer to drive, and as I was putting it away ten minutes ago I was thinking to myself "This car is getting good now, it's getting so much nicer than it was when I bought it, but still lots to do". Then I lifted the bonnet to isolate the battery and got the stink of petrol. The rear float chamber was overflowing. Don't know why cos there's an inline filter. I think its the same position float as that new one I had that was letting nothing in, giving me grief trying to get the car running after winter. So I haven't got another one to put on. This lady sure is feisty. I give her loads of attention and gifts and she still wants more.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 pm

Mick,

I checked a fellow club members car the other week and the float chamber gaskets had a fold in it at one of the screw holes, we sorted that and it stopped leaking, there was a lovely tell tale mark down the side of the float chamber, onto the exhaust manifold - a bit scary.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Yes I know those leaks are scary! I've done a few miles before the recent short - term layup for tyres and suspension, since I'd replaced the new floats with old, to get the car going, and had checked for leaks and seen none, but point duly noted Chris. As I was parking up it was getting too dark to do a proper examination, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow after work at the earliest. I just wanted to make sure it had stopped dripping and was dry before locking the garage! I've checked and the 'good' float out of the new pair is the one I want. Unfortunately I've not contacted Burlen yet about the other one, which was bought August 2017 but only fitted in April or May. I need some new gaskets though. I'll probably buy a dozen off Mini Spares! :lol:

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Had some metal treated and then re painted the effected area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Morris Marina Owners Club: Magazine Editor
'73 MG Marina Turbo Saloon - Back on the road with T16 turbo power
'72 TC Coupe' 'SLK' - 1950cc - Asleep - possible retirement project E.T.A 2049

LORENZO73

Post by LORENZO73 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:23 pm

nice work,you did that?

Lorenzo

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:15 am

No, I had Frank Phillips sort it for me over at Austin Morris Services.

LORENZO73

Post by LORENZO73 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:41 pm

i have one morris marina MK3 and i wish to spray over all, but i am on the waiting list to do it. On it I put the engine (18) that I bought from you. We did a re-build on the engine and now it's installed and working it's amazing.
If you don't mind can i ask you a question; the turbo is without bumpers, in the UK they let you drive it with no problem because in Malta is not legal to drive a car without bumpers. But if it"s a vintage car maybe they will let you but it has to pass from transport Malta.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:18 am

Damn Ben.!
That is a very nice repair there.
I "really" need to meet you and Frank.
Have a vague plan to visit UK and Europe 2019 so consider yourself on the "visiting" list.
Love your work.
Kil.

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Kilroy wrote:Damn Ben.!
That is a very nice repair there.
I "really" need to meet you and Frank.
Have a vague plan to visit UK and Europe 2019 so consider yourself on the "visiting" list.
Love your work.
Kil.

Thanks Ken. It would be a pleasure meet up when you venture over to Europe!

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Re: RE: Re: What did you do to your Marina today?

Post by Gee tc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 am

Gee tc wrote:Today was a bit of bling in readiness for the nationals.
Green champion leads
Unipart white oil filter
New wiper motor cover with correct date stamp from Josh.
New thermostat gasket.... a proper one
Chrome exhaust tip and oil cap.
Also rerubbered the original brake master cylinder as the NOS one I'd fitted was showing signs of leakage. I'll fit this next week with a NOS servo I've had for a while.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Little update . Few more jobs. New BL boxed servo which was identical but with metric threads (noisy vacuum valve still ) and master cylinder. Another trunnion and found that the rear auto adjusters were incorrectly fitted when rebuilt with wrong sides but didn't seem to affect anything in the last few years and 3 MOTs. I now have a reasonable handbrake as an H plate was lost somewhere.. However it now pulls to the left under the improved but only under heavy braking. No wonder BL chose to get rid and put manual adjusters in! I also had to change my clocks over temporarily as the gauges seemed to have been getting worse with lower readings lately. I'm assuming it's the voltage regulator. Call to Josh perhaps?Image

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

First-Car as Marina

Post by First-Car as Marina » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 am

MARINAMADBAZ wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:43 am this is my garage walls no space left now
20180626_162851.jpg
lol
That is honestly my dream garage Baz, I've got quite a long way to go :lol:
1976 1.3 DL Coupe - Retired daily after 2.5 years, smashed up, now being fixed (PDA 827R) (Lumpy)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon - Rotting into the front garden, will resume in 2021 (VGV 616K) (Rusty)
1971 1.3 DL Coupe - MOT'ed and on the road, used as much as possible (REW 5K) (Tigger)
2013 Ford Focus Zetec S - Very economical and a great car in general

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Maiden mainland voyage completed. Now with 200 miles extra on the clock.