Nolathane Steering Rack Bushes

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

MarinaCoupe

Nolathane Steering Rack Bushes

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:29 pm

There have been some instances of the black (newer) bushes pulling out, seemingly due to insufficient location and also attempts to fit them on top of the original bush, rather than taking the old bush out. Josh reported that one red one (older) has also pulled out.

No-one has told me yet that their bush has worn away, only that it has pulled out. It seems to me that on the newer black bushes, the screw or screws used to fix the bush aren’t holding in the polyurethane, perhaps due to a revised composition. I have sold around 40 black bushes and prior to that a similar number of red bushes, it’s difficult to be sure but I think 6-8 people have reported problems. Clearly that’s still 6-8 too many, but it helps to put the issue in perspective.

As no-one has come forward with pictures or physical evidence of damage that I can show the manufacturers, I have been considering dropping the bushes as I don’t like selling something that isn’t always fit for purpose.

David Painter has offered to run a 6 month test on the last new black bush in his Coupe. At the end of six months we will remove it and check on its condition and also report on any fitting issues.

I have deliberately run-down my stock to nothing and was planning to wait for the results of David’s test before reporting to Nolathane and suggesting any improvements necessary before re-ordering. However if that starts taking cars off the road in the meantime, I will order some more black ones, with the obvious caveat that we are still testing their fitness for purpose.
Last edited by MarinaCoupe on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickthefitter

Re: Nolathane Steering Rack Bushes

Post by mickthefitter » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:20 pm

I’m curious Chris - is this an age related thing, or a late model Marina related thing? I’m saying this because I bought my Mk1 Marina in 1981 with 48000 miles and sold it in 1985 with 70000 miles without a hint of problems from steering rack bushes, yet it seems to be a real Achilles heel I was never aware of.

aqua-marina

Post by aqua-marina » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:34 pm

It seems to be an age thing the original fibre bush was much to small and seems to fall apart with age

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:50 pm

The OE bushes were made of white or black nylon in a steel sheath, the youngest will now be 36 years old and the oldest 49 years old. I think that they go brittle over time and with immersion in gear oil, over time they start to breakup with the pounding. Back in the, day steering racks were an exchange item and the bush replacement was part of the standard refurbishment, cars seem to have regularly had exchange racks between 50k-70k miles. Most cars with these sort of miles got scrapped as the steering play was an MOT fail on what was a cheap banger.

By comparison, these days, as private owners we are doing our own repairs and have had to become our own diagnosticians and mechanics. There are no/few professional companies providing reconditioned Marina/Ital racks.

marina12

Post by marina12 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Many years after the Marina went I now realised what the knocking from the near side front was likely to have been! Marina Coupe- If I remember correctly you said Triumph racks used a metal (brass?) bush- assume the Marina/ Ital didn’t get this as it was more expensive but was likely to be more durable? Thanks.
Last edited by marina12 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marymorris

Post by Marymorris » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 pm

I take it these are the end bushes in the steering rack that guide the rack itself? I have just found mine are non existant and when driving knocking is very loud as rack is jumping about in the housing.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Mary Morris - There is no bush at the right hand end of the rack as the rack rod as it rests directly in the pinion. However on the left hand end it has a nylon bush that breaks up overtime and poor road surface.

What you describe is exactly the noise you get.

JoshWard

Post by JoshWard » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:39 am

Just to clarify I have never had a red bush pull out. I rebuilt the racks in three cars with red bushes and all are still performing well, one after about 50,000 miles! With the red bushes I just used the original screw to retain it.

The first black bush I tried pulled out as soon as I turned the steering! I have now rebuilt five steering racks with the black bush and each one has had the same issue. When I replace them I strip the rack down completely and remove the original bush. When trying to use the original screw the softer compound of the black bush just squishes up, the screw won't go in. I have tried drilling pilot holes but that hasn't worked either. I have overcome it by adding additional screws next to the bush to stop it slipping out.

In each case when the bush has pulled out there has been no physical damage to it.

It's no problem for those of us who are aware of the issue, the issue only comes when somebody fits one having never done it before and just fits it using the original screw. Nolathane could add some instructions stating the modifications required. Or they could go back to making the red ones which did the job perfectly...!

Maybe we could approach Superflex? From what I remember you said Nolathane have stated that the composition hasn't been changed which is very worrying when we know it has. You only have to squeeze a red bush and a black bush with your hand to tell the black one is much softer. Or even better, proper bronze bushes would be the ultimate way to go!
Club archivist/chief anorak
1936 Ford Model Y- On loan from the CCLP
1967 Triumph Herald
1971 1.3 DL Coupe (VRU362J)
1971 1.3 SDL Coupe (JGC240K)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon (OVW292K)
1971 1.8 SDL Coupe (MCU274K)
1980 Ital 1.3 HL (NPB34W)

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:29 am

Josh - I have asked Nolathane to go back to the red composition of bush, but they deny any difference in the mix, other than the colour.

I have previously approached Superflex (5 or so years ago) asking them to consider producing their own bush, but they said that they weren’t interested.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Well, they're obviously full of sh*t then. They wouldn't change the colour just because they felt like it. They are definitely different. Either they won't admit to using a cheaper material or they have a problem with the dyes they're using, either way, these bushes are most certainly not the same formula as the old red ones.

Marymorris

Post by Marymorris » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:51 pm

MarinaCoupe wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:17 pm Mary Morris - There is no bush at the right hand end of the rack as the rack rod as it rests directly in the pinion. However on the left hand end it has a nylon bush that breaks up overtime and poor road surface.

Ahh i see, thanks for the Info :thumbup: Sourcing a good new bush is looking like a pain haha, may have to see if i can get one made out of phosphorus bronze or something if possible, i'll see. Rack needs fixing before it sees the road for sure! Working on classic cars ive had this pain of manufacturers changing parts, mainly due to cost and cheaper materials being used, its fairly frustrating to say the least.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Marymorris wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:51 pm
MarinaCoupe wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:17 pm Mary Morris - There is no bush at the right hand end of the rack as the rack rod as it rests directly in the pinion. However on the left hand end it has a nylon bush that breaks up overtime and poor road surface.

Ahh i see, thanks for the Info :thumbup: Sourcing a good new bush is looking like a pain haha, may have to see if i can get one made out of phosphorus bronze or something if possible, i'll see. Rack needs fixing before it sees the road for sure! Working on classic cars ive had this pain of manufacturers changing parts, mainly due to cost and cheaper materials being used, its fairly frustrating to say the least.
Not to say they are bad bushes, I haven't had an issue with them. They just need more hold than the old ones. Maybe someone can come with a "collar" to fit and hold the bush?

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:33 pm

I figured a large circlip at the outer end of the bush could be effectively held by a pair of grubscrews.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:41 am

Marymorris wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:51 pm

I have ordered some more bushes, so will be able to help in a week or so.

MARINAMADBAZ

Post by MARINAMADBAZ » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:27 am

hi Chris
I have buried somewhere some original rack bushes the metal casing with the plastic insert's
would it be possible to get some copies made of these to help out or are we goinng to stick with nolathe ones just an idea if I can help
baz