Fuel Tank sender units

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Nomad

Re: Fuel Tank sender units

Post by Nomad » Wed May 03, 2023 5:26 pm

Bumping this as I've just had the sender unit out of mine to fix a "sticky" gauge.

A quick test - unplug the wire from the sender on the tank, earth the wire and turn on the ignition. If the gauge read full the problem is the sender in the tank, if the gauger reads empty the problem isn't (broken wire leading to the tank ect)

Make sure you run the tank low then the sender can be removed easily, twist the lock-ring then the sender just pulls out of the tank.
I got a new sealing ring and lock ring (from Anglia spares ?) and everything went back together ok.

The sender unit has obviously been apart before as the case was held together by a few twists of welding wire !
The problem turned out to be a sticking float pivot, a few minutes to clean the shaft and now it works as it should.

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:34 pm

Hi all, my sender unit is also broken (I presume) as my petrol gauge does not work and I have tested the electrics. How big of a job is it to change the unit, is it a tank off job? Whilst I can do bits and pieces I'm not a 'proper' mechanic!

Cheers

david painter

Post by david painter » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:53 pm

Assuming earthing the signal wire from the gauge sender with ignition on gauge shows full fault lies in sender unit. The sender unit itself can also suffer from a poor earth as earth is only provided by the lock ring. Clean off a section of the metal pipe on sender unit attach a extra earth wire with a hose clip if gauge now works make earth permanant . If not sender unit will require replacement can be done with tank in situ make sure fuel level is low below sender hole
Dave

Woody

Post by Woody » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:50 am

Cheers Dave