Fibre glass panels

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

trunnions ftw

Fibre glass panels

Post by trunnions ftw » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:28 pm

So I was just looking at the remains if the front panel and thought what a miserable piece of steel that is! , even in the case of getting a new panel on the car it's still just creeping rot waiting to spoil the look 0f the car right from the off!
Now unlike a triumph dolomite which just about gets away with the structural loss these cars don't seen to have much structure past the inner wing damper towers and even then the wing and front panels offer nothing really to enhance the strength.

So 2 options really present themselves I would think.
And that would be to use a decent example of wings, and front panel to produce a mould for either hand layup of fibreglass or something that can accept vacuum moulding of ABS plastic or similar.
What we all reckon as I literally hate the idea of welding on more rust prone expensive panels onto the car, would rather expensive stuff that just lasts the course!
Attachments
20210821_172153.jpg

MarinaCoupe

Re: Fibre glass panels

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:14 pm

Marina fibre glass wings are already available from Smith & Deakin.

trunnions ftw

Post by trunnions ftw » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:52 am

Honeybourne list them too which leaves front panels and things like door shells, heater vent grills, maybe boot lids even!
I reckon a door could be moulded in 2 halves and just glued together with a simple frame inside to pickup the hinges, lock and window frame maybe.

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:17 am

The lower part of the front valence is structural as it has an “L” shaped panel behind it which closes with the valence to make a triangular shaped cross-brace that ties the two lower chassis rails together.

locost_bryan

Post by locost_bryan » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:22 pm

Special Tuning did fibreglass doors, bonnet, and boot back in the day. Not sure how they did their doors.
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"

trunnions ftw

Post by trunnions ftw » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:58 am

The valance could be there as a sub structure without any detriment, it imagine it under fairly light levels of tension underbraking

trunnions ftw

Post by trunnions ftw » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:14 pm

This has stepped up a gear as I've got some panels to take moulds from!!
A front panel and os wing,,bloody expensive though!