Hazards work, indicators don't?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

LarryK

Hazards work, indicators don't?

Post by LarryK » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:38 pm

Hi all,

My Marina's turn signals (and horn) stopped working a while ago but the hazards are still okay. In an effort to work out what might be wrong, I took the cowl off the steering column, checked the connections and sprayed some contact cleaner around the stalks.

Now the wipers don't work either... but what I'm wondering about is this relay under the dash. I've found the one for the hazards but I don't know what this one does or why there's a third wire (green) bundled with the two that are connected to it. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_9346.jpg

Mandator

Re: Hazards work, indicators don't?

Post by Mandator » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:14 pm

Had a similar problem a few weeks back. My Marina has two flasher units. One for the indicators and one for the Hazards. Swapped over the units with each other and both worked but still could not get indicators to work. In the end after checking everything by eye got out my multimeter to find the problem was a fuse. The fuse "looked" OK through the glass cartridge but had blown at the cap end.
Not saying that is the problem but that's what happened in my case. Always check the obvious first I suppose :lol:

Mandator

Post by Mandator » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:28 pm

I am no Auto Electrician so most of my testing tends to be rather crude - but then that is why I like older cars!
The relay looks after market or replacement. You might try bypassing the relay "very momentarily" (to prevent burning out contacts of stalk switch) to see if you get life into the horn or wipers. Or apply a current directly to them to check they are not faulty!
Obviously best method is to check continuity with a multitester if you have one.

LarryK

Post by LarryK » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:58 pm

How do I bypass the relay, or test it with a multitester?

Others have suggested operating the indicators while the hazards are on, which hasn't made a difference yet, although I did occasionally get the faintest of horn beeps...

david painter

Post by david painter » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:57 am

Original flasher unit is a 2 pin with a bymtalic strip in it not what you have pictured there but you do have the two correct coloured wire in the ;picture the green and the light green with brown trace I have no idea what the aftermarket yellow wire is for connect the the green/green brown together your indications should work when switched on but not flash. Hazard lights have as seperate flasher unit but are inter connected at the hazard light switch to switch from the one unit to the other indicators not working can be the hazard switch contacts try switching on/off a few times at thee flasher unit you have in picture the green wire should have 12 volts with ignition on this can be checked with as simple bulb.
Dave

LarryK

Post by LarryK » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:24 pm

Tried connecting the relay to just the green and the lt green/brown but no difference.

david painter

Post by david painter » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:06 pm

do you have any power on the green wire with ignition on will it light a bulb connect one side of bulb to green wire and other to clean unpainted metal on body or battery earth bulb should light repeat test on that yellow wire.
Dave

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:16 am

The green/yellow wire is for the rear screen heater, so it has probably come of the back of the switch on the switch panel.

Here is the wiring diagram for the UK 1.8 Marina Mk1. The heated rear window and switch are number 115 & 116. You can see the it takes its power from the switched power fuse 19, which also controls the tachometer (rev counter), indicators and brake lights and several other things if fitted. Start with the fuse, by a bunch (say 6) 35 amp fuses and check the one in situ, it’s the lower one of the two under the dashboard. Then replace it, switch on the ignition and progressively try each item until the fuse blows again and that will be the one that needs investigating, probably for a short or a wire off.
5B34C6C4-E48A-4C07-89B4-1EE6B5C04AC1.jpeg
0EF4325D-D5E8-4080-BC1D-9F1316C3DE1D.jpeg

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:02 am

After a little more thought, if the green/yellow lead is from the fuse, it would have been live and may actually have been the source of the short and blown fuse in the first place. The connector on the end of the wire only needs to touch something else, to short out and blow the fuse.

So plug the lead back where it belongs and replace the fuse and see what does and doesn’t function.

david painter

Post by david painter » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:46 pm

Have a look in the thread I started on here called Lucas Wire Colours where i listed all the commonly used wire colours. The picture shows the Yellow wire attached to the flasher unit this is clearly not an origonal BL wire. At the bottom left of the picture is a clear plasitc cover on a spade terminal not connected to anything the wire looks to be Green this is a fused ignition wire so should light a bulb all the time ignition is on an is the origonal supply wire to flasher unit. Looking at the diagram as supplied by Chris 19 is the fuse and is common to both indicators and wipers. I suspect the yellow wire has been added to replace a possible defective green wire as the connector on yellow wire is unisuated theres a good chance fuse is blown.
Dave

LarryK

Post by LarryK » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:26 am

Replaced the relay in the photo in the first post with one that is apparently suitable for the Marina, but now the indicator only works for signalling right turns - the left is just a solid light, no flashing. Fuse problem?

Oh, and I got the wipers working again not long ago.

david painter

Post by david painter » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:39 pm

Can you post a picture of the indicator relay you have got showing the pin designations and the writing/ curcuit diagram it may contain
the fact you have got a solid light indicates curcuit integraty. Non flashing indicators on the 2 pin bimetalic strip type flasher unit was often caused by low battery voltage even a loose fan belt adjustment would cure problem, incorrect wattage bulbs fitted or a poor connection. other possibilty is flasher unit is incorect specification hence request for pictures
Dave

LarryK

Post by LarryK » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:10 pm

It's this relay. The wiring diagram is the same as posted by Marina Coupe earlier in this thread.
IMG_9597.JPG

david painter

Post by david painter » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Need to see the other end where the writing is as that is what the flasher will work with it should say somthing like 21wx2+2w if the correct one for indicators and you have it wird correctly looking at the picture
Unipart Number GFU2125
Lucas Number SFB115 / 35048
looking at google pictures most now seem to be rated 12v 50w

The Hazard variant would be SFB130 / 35053 this is rated at 12v 21w x4 max 94w
Dave

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:24 am

My Mk3 Marinas have a complex switch that is responsible for allowing hazard lights to operate via two separate flasher units.
The sheer number of contacts within the switch mean that usually after operating it, weird symptoms are experienced when trying to use normal indicator functions.
Operating the hazard light switch a number of times will eventually restore normal transmission...