Pre-engaged starter motor

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

martinclan

Pre-engaged starter motor

Post by martinclan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:24 pm

I shall shortly (well this year :-) ) be re-installing the engine in my B series engined Marlin so it is time to think about the ancilliaries.

Am I correct in thinking there used to be a pre-engaged starter motor option? I really hate the old school "fling the pinion at the flywheel" type!
Are these still available? It would have to be an outright purchase as the old starter is the "fling the pinion at the flywheel" sort....

And I suppose I should ask if the pre-engaged type has an disadvantages - other than I don't have one?

Cheers, Robin

david painter

Re: Pre-engaged starter motor

Post by david painter » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:03 pm

Pre engaged would be the way to go. My MGB has one fitted as does the late 1.7 Ital I have for parts. To build up the 2.0 for the planned engine conversion on my Brown Coupe. One thing of note is the Inertia starter engages from the back of the flywheel, whereas the Pre engaged engages from the front. The lead on the teeth on the flywheel would need to be the other way round. Im not sure if you could get away with turning the existing ring round or you would need a pre engaged ring gear.
Dave

martinclan

Re: Pre-engaged starter motor

Post by martinclan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:17 pm

david painter wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:03 pm One thing of note is the Inertia starter engages from the back of the flywheel, whereas the Pre engaged engages from the front. The lead on the teeth on the flywheel would need to be the other way round. Im not sure if you could get away with turning the existing ring round or you would need a pre engaged ring gear.
Dave
Ah - I didn't realise that. Not a straight swap then....
Cheers Robin