Convert Marina Gearbox to LHD

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Hello Gents:

I live in Lafayette, Louisiana. For quite a few years, I have made a hobby of restoring Morris Minor Travellers for resale.
It has been a labor of love, though it seems to be getting more difficult each time, especially with the heat we have down in the bayou country.
I buy most of my Travellers in the U.S., though I occasionally have them shipped out of Southampton to Jacksonville, Florida. I can drive to Jacksonville, pick up a Moggie, and be home the next night. I convert all RHD Travellers to LHD. The most significant alteration is replacement of the steering rack. On the Morris gearbox, it is necessary to change the frontplate so that the clutch throw out arm comes out of the left side of the gearbox. Also, the LHD clutch pedal and throttle pedal are not the same as the RHD. Fortunately, all the necessary holes have been done at the factory for the car to be converted.
I have a beautiful 1966 Morris Minor Traveller that I have set out to convert. I have discovered that the car apparently has a Marina 1300 A series engine and 5 speed gearbox. Upon removing the gearbox, I see that the throw out arm is attached by a bracket to the inside of the bellhousing. The bracket is held by two bolts to the bellhousing. My first impression is that I will have to drill two holes to have the bracket relocated on the left side of the bellhousing. Would this be the most advisable thing to do? Or should I set out to find a left hand drive bellhousing? Thank you. Al Smith Landry

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi

Marinas were never produced with a 5 speed gearbox, so what you have is a conversion. US manual gearbox Marinas shared the same bellhousing as the UK version. Myself and a colleague on here have designed and built our own Marina 5 speed conversion.

If you can post some pictures of the engine/bellhousing/gearbox then we may be able to identify what you have which help with options you have.

alandry337

Re: Convert Marina Gearbox to LHD

Post by alandry337 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks, Chris. Turns out what I have is a Ford Sierra 5 speed gearbox attached to the Marina engine. Maybe I should I post on the Ford Sierra Club Forum?

Al

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 pm

If the bellhousing is the Ford one then, there are various Ford bellhousings that you could use. However I think that you are on the right track anyway. If you can move the bracket, can you also move the lever with a repositioned clutch slave or does it have cable operation?

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:29 pm

I think that I would try a Moggie modification forum.

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:40 pm

There is no slave cylinder or cable- strictly a manual, Morris Minor type clutch. I will have to do something to attach the clutch linkage on the left side. It appears a bracket was fashioned to hold the linkage on the right side.
Can you tell me what Ford 5 speed gearboxes would attach to the 1300 A Series engine? If I could easily find a LHD bellhousing, I might do it. If not, I guess I'll modify the one I have. Thanks.
Al

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:52 pm

There is only one 5 speed ford box without a bellhousing and that is the Sierras one. However it was used with various ford 4 and 6 cylinder engines in Europe so there may be a suitable bellhousing, the challenge would then be bolting the Ford b/h to the Marina backplate.

jiversteve

Post by jiversteve » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:54 am

Hi Alan.
Just been having a thought or two to add to Marinacoupe's comments.
If you have a Ford type 9 gearbox it would be interesting to see what the bell housing is and how the modification was completed.
It might be that you have a Marina bell housing or a special casting that was supplied in the UK by Frontline.

As you have it out in the open it should be easy to identify and we may be able to help more with a few pictures. Posting them can be a pain on this forum but instructions are a sticky post.

Would it be possible to convert the clutch to hydraulic and then use a Concentric clutch actuator from Burton power. That would leave you with a couple of hydraulic hoses, a feed and bleed line, and no clutch slace cylinder or operating arm on the outside of the bellhousing.

Good luck, it would be nice to hear how you get on.
Not a Marina owner, built in 1985 from a 1974 1.8TC MOT failure.
See Marlin History.
http://www.5speedmarina.com
Type 9 gearbox, Vented front discs, Dolly Sprint axle with disc conversion.
Next project? Megajolt?

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Thank you Chris and Jiversteve:

I will try to take a photo of the bellhousing on the Ford gearbox and post it on the forum. However, when I tried previously to add a photo to my posting I got the message "attachment quota filled". Is there a secret to attaching a photo?
Jiversteve, Please let me know if you feel the hydraulic clutch idea would work. The Morris Minor LHD clutch pedal enters a hole in the chassis leg, goes through a large bushing and then through a bushing in the brake pedal end before exiting the chassis leg. at this point a swivel piece is attached to the end of the clutch rod to connect to the clutch linkage. If I used a hydraulic clutch, what would the clutch rod connect to? Where would I purchase the hydraulic kit? Many thanks.

Al

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Al

I had forgotten that the Minor, had a direct action clutch without cable or hydralics. The Marina bellhousing could be bolted to the back of your engine and has hydralic clutch actuation, but would need an adapter to accept the Sierra box.

"coupedriver" on here lives in Benton, Arizona and is a great source of Marina parts. Personally I would pursue the Minor clutch for a while first.

Also, the Ford America Merkur used the "Sierra" gearbox and used a cable operated clutch. You might find one in a scrapyard local to you.

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:00 pm

[imghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/4996283904_98a541da82_m.Image

I hope these photos get posted. What gearbox do I have guys? Is is a Ford Sierra with a modified bellhousing? What would the bellhousing be from? Many thanks.

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:02 pm

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:04 pm

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:04 pm