Re: Convert Marina Gearbox to LHD

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:05 pm

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:06 pm

jiversteve

Post by jiversteve » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:49 pm

That is not a Marina bell housing. It certainly looks like its probably a 'Frontline' conversion for a Midget.
The gearbox looks Type 9 so no problems there apart from being a bit rare in the US.

Cant see your clutch actuator mechanism too clearly in your pictures to be able to identify it.

The car looks pretty tidy though. the guys on the Morris Minor forum might be able to help.
Not a Marina owner, built in 1985 from a 1974 1.8TC MOT failure.
See Marlin History.
http://www.5speedmarina.com
Type 9 gearbox, Vented front discs, Dolly Sprint axle with disc conversion.
Next project? Megajolt?

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Many thanks, Steve:

I think I will move the bracket in the bellhousing to the left side, and make a bracket to hold the linkage on that side.
If the heat would let up I could put some more greasy fingerprints on the Moggie.
Image Regards,

Al

MarinaCoupe

Convert Marina Gearbox to LHD

Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 pm

The bellhousing is definitely for a Minor or Midget, and is quite a rare beast. My guess is that although the engine may have come from a Marina, it used a Minor or Midget backplate to allow the fitting of the special bellhousing.

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi Al,

Just a thought, have you heard of a company called JLH Morris Minors? Jonathon Heap is a good friend of mine has converted Moggies to LHD for some export customers and may be able to assist you. Head over to http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/ and email him. Mention Ben with the Zetec Marina put you onto him.

Best Regards,

Ben
Morris Marina Owners Club: Magazine Editor
'73 MG Marina Turbo Saloon - Back on the road with T16 turbo power
'72 TC Coupe' 'SLK' - 1950cc - Asleep - possible retirement project E.T.A 2049

alandry337

Post by alandry337 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks very much, Ben. I will contact Jonathan. Al

Mandator

Post by Mandator » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:56 pm

This has piqued my interest.
I took my 1.3 Marina out for a long run today and for todays motoring the Marina really does need another gear!
Have mused whether a 5 speed gearbox can be fitted to the A series block and wondered what 5 speed box could be fitted? (Has to be relatively easy as I am no mechanic)

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:04 pm

I run a Ford Type 9 V6 gearbox behind my Ital 1.3 block using the Marina bellhousing. You need an adaptor plate between the Marina bellhousing and the Ford gearbox, then fabricate a new gearbox mount, create a hybrid propshaft as the Ford output shaft is entirely different from the Marina one. You’ll also need either to modify the Ford gearbox tail shaft to reposition the gearstick around 100mm forward to match the Marinatransmission tunnel, or open a new hole in the transmission tunnel 100mm further back to accept the standard Ford gearstick position. Plus making up a hybrid speedo drive Ford to Marina.

Mandator

Post by Mandator » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:24 pm

MarinaCoupe wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:04 pm I run a Ford Type 9 V6 gearbox behind my Ital 1.3 block using the Marina bellhousing. You need an adaptor plate between the Marina bellhousing and the Ford gearbox, then fabricate a new gearbox mount, create a hybrid propshaft as the Ford output shaft is entirely different from the Marina one. You’ll also need either to modify the Ford gearbox tail shaft to reposition the gearstick around 100mm forward to match the Marinatransmission tunnel, or open a new hole in the transmission tunnel 100mm further back to accept the standard Ford gearstick position. Plus making up a hybrid speedo drive Ford to Marina.
Seems a faff ;)
I can't believe BL didn't produce a 5 speed box for the A Series block :o
I suppose motoring was more sedate then, but since I used to drive my Marina all around the country trainspotting (sad git that I was), I must have just put up with the noise of motoring then. I certainly didn't drive slowly!

marina12

Post by marina12 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:45 pm

I drove at no more than 50mph- very sedate and long journeys were very long...

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:45 pm

The Marina was quite literally the last RWD BL small car, it was originally designed to last until 1976, the original proposed launch date of the FWD Maestro & Montego. The time between the launch of the Mk2 (1976) and the last Ital (1984) saw BL spending as little as possible on the car, even the Ital changes were limited to external changes. The Maestro & Montego launched in 1984 were of course available with a FWD gearbox in 4 or 5 speed gearbox. For comparison no UK Cortina had 4 speeds, the 5 speed Sierra wasn’t introduced until 1984 and the Capri 5 speed 1982. Later TR7s and the Rover SD1 shared the LT77 5 speed derived from the 4 speed XJ6 manual gearbox.

Mandator

Post by Mandator » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:59 pm

MarinaCoupe wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:45 pm The Marina was quite literally the last RWD BL small car, it was originally designed to last until 1976, the original proposed launch date of the FWD Maestro & Montego. The time between the launch of the Mk2 (1976) and the last Ital (1984) saw BL spending as little as possible on the car, even the Ital changes were limited to external changes. The Maestro & Montego launched in 1984 were of course available with a FWD gearbox in 4 or 5 speed gearbox. For comparison no UK Cortina had 4 speeds, the 5 speed Sierra wasn’t introduced until 1984 and the Capri 5 speed 1982. Later TR7s and the Rover SD1 shared the LT77 5 speed derived from the 4 speed XJ6 manual gearbox.
In your opinion which 5 speed (or 6) is the best to mate to the 1.3 A Series block. Sierra or are there other alternatives?

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:45 am

Best gearbox?

It used to be possible to get hold of used Ford Type 9s for £50 (I did) , now they start at £200 and £300-£400 for a rebuild, but at least they are still around if you have deep enough pockets. The Mk1 (NA) Mazda MX5 has a good reputation for handing power and a silky gear change. It’s possible to move the gearstick forward around 100mm due to the arrangement of the gearstick mounting. Later versions have a bulkier arrangement that can’t be altered. The MX5 bellhousing is removable but it carries the front bearings for the input shaft and lay shaft, so it wouldn’t be easily possible to construct an adaptor plate to mate to the Marina bellhousing. The way to overcome this would be to fabricate a new engine backplate, with the centre holes matching the engine and the outer holes matching the MX5 bellhousing. You would have to accommodate the starter mount.

There used to be Datsun/Nissan and Toyota gearboxes that were used in MG Midget behind the A Series, but I don’t know the details and the cars also date to the 1970s so are very rare in the UK.

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:42 am

RX8 6 speed is getting to be a common swap in fords.
Morris Marina Owners Club: Magazine Editor
'73 MG Marina Turbo Saloon - Back on the road with T16 turbo power
'72 TC Coupe' 'SLK' - 1950cc - Asleep - possible retirement project E.T.A 2049