Car show moan

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

lock1506

Car show moan

Post by lock1506 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:32 am

I was at a show yesterday (sorry no photos) that I have attended ever since it started and I have taken a variety of cars, 60's rileys, sd1, dolomite, all the marinas and even the van once and all the cars generally get a good response even though I USE them. Now yesterday I deceided not to take my gleaming coupe because it was raining so took the estate which is tidy enough couple of bits of rust and the wrong shade of blue, I'm sure a lot of you saw it at P bro last year. Most people were pleased to see a rare estate, positive comments and photos. Then just before I was about to leave the man who knows everything walks over! Do you know that's the wrong colour son? I had one of these only did about 20 to the gallon, wouldn't go round corners, you've got some rust here need that sorted! You can't use this much surely? That really p'd me off yes it's a car it gets used, its good on fuel even my TC would do mid to high 20S, I'm not your son and your car sounds like it was an unmaintained shed. Yes I do know all my cars faults, it is mine!
Put me in a real bad mood after a lovely day, moan over. Does anyone else I have these problems?
The calming part was when I saw him in the public car park with a Vauxhall Mocca with a flat tyre, they don't have a spare! My marina does. HaHa :-D

MARINAMADBAZ

Re: Car show moan

Post by MARINAMADBAZ » Mon May 25, 2015 9:55 am

Dont worry mate i seem to get it aswell with the bloody piano jokes or about the handling but these people drive morden euro boxes and seem to compare them to a mordern day car,if you compare the marinas to the other makes of the day they werent bad at all and now marina's handle a lot better with superflex bushes,mordern tyre production etc.his he probaly run it on remoulds and never serviced it or looking after it ,why he got his so called 20 to the gallon,but i find most shows people remember having tghem and been good reliable cars,i myself was brought up with marina's and itals having many holidays in them and my dad never having any breakdowns.
keep the faith mate
best regards
barry

JoshWard

Post by JoshWard » Mon May 25, 2015 10:04 am

Life's too short to worry about what other people think of your car. It makes you happy so that's all that matters :wink:

Whenever I go to shows I am usually in the scruffiest car there but at the end of the day if it's on the road and MOT'd and you enjoy driving it then who really cares :)
Club archivist/chief anorak
1936 Ford Model Y- On loan from the CCLP
1967 Triumph Herald
1971 1.3 DL Coupe (VRU362J)
1971 1.3 SDL Coupe (JGC240K)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon (OVW292K)
1971 1.8 SDL Coupe (MCU274K)
1980 Ital 1.3 HL (NPB34W)

MarinaCoupe

Car show moan

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon May 25, 2015 10:09 am

I get the same from time to time with my pickup, don't take it to heart. It's his problem not yours. Anyway his karma was wrong, the flat tyre was meant to be, he gave out bad vibes and then got them back.

Chris
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First-Car as Marina

Post by First-Car as Marina » Mon May 25, 2015 11:31 am

I think you always get that one person that likes to make jabs at what they think are "easy targets" and with everything that's happened to Marinas recently hasn't helped. What makes our cars not easy targets is the fact that we owners care very much about them, and even though the criticiser may be stuck in their ways, it's their choice, but we know they're great and will defend them whatever happens.

I've been driving mine daily for about 9 months now as my first car (hence my account name) and in that time I've had the clutch master cylinder fail, it wouldn't start on the cold mornings at the start of the year so had to be jump started nearly everyday, it leaks water when it rains, the doors are badly rotten on the bottoms and now it's starting to weep oil from the engine but I wouldn't change those times for anything. As Josh said it has an MOT, so its got to be roadworthy otherwise it wouldn't have one. That's also how I look at it with mine (even with its current issues :lol:).

I haven't been to any shows yet, but I have had comments from people. I can only remember positive ones because if someone did say something negative, I just ignore it as I know they're just probably jealous. I think I'm going to have the same problem when I go to the shows but I won't take it to heart as I know the amount of work that I had to do to get it road worthy, and that's what makes be happy to drive it. I'm going to be sad when it comes off the road this year and I have to buy one of those modern cars (what are they ;)) because I just find modern cars so boring to drive and most of them don't look as individual, I guess, as the older ones.

Below are some pictures of mine. If that guy has a problem with your paint work and some rust that is nothing to worry over, just send him my way ;). Him saying it only does 20 to the gallon and it won't go round corners is probably because he can't drive a car. I have no real problem with fuel and corners.
Faded paint, no paint, primer, rust; it has the lot. I call it a lot of character.
Faded paint, no paint, primer, rust; it has the lot. I call it a lot of character.
What can I say about the bonnet...
What can I say about the bonnet...
The rear has a lot of paint but it's all faded
The rear has a lot of paint but it's all faded
I know not everyone at shows will love it, but they don't have to.

Alex
1976 1.3 DL Coupe - Retired daily after 2.5 years, smashed up, now being fixed (PDA 827R) (Lumpy)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon - Rotting into the front garden, will resume in 2021 (VGV 616K) (Rusty)
1971 1.3 DL Coupe - MOT'ed and on the road, used as much as possible (REW 5K) (Tigger)
2013 Ford Focus Zetec S - Very economical and a great car in general

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon May 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Looks like a good honest car to me. Why will you take it off the road? Restoration or what?

Chris

stu1980

Post by stu1980 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:08 pm

you get it all the time at shows no i just drive mine there and leave in the public car park now 8-)

italsi

Post by italsi » Mon May 25, 2015 6:32 pm

The only reason i've ever had to moan going to a car show was a couple of years back at Ripon when I pulled up in one of my other toys. Knowing I was looking for a Marina at the time and no reserved spaces etc I pulled up near to the Marinas so that I could introduce myself say hello and ask if any Marinas for sale etc.
One of the guys in a Marina told me to move as he didnt want my car there !!! not polite about it either. I moved to another area and didnt go over and say hello in the end. Suffice to say it didnt put me off buying one but I may chose where I park next time ;)

Any how it's only about having a bit of fun..

lock1506

Post by lock1506 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Cheers guys I'm over it. Took it to Leeds and back today, I do prefer driving it to parking it in a field. I'll post a photo when my wife brings the camera back.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Mon May 25, 2015 10:40 pm

The thing I just cannot fathom is the fact that here you are with a car you obviously choose to own - and yet they think that it will perhaps prove something to you if they badmouth it.?

It merely proves that they are more interested in the sound of their own voice than actually imparting any valuable information.

My current answer is that - "well, you do need at least half a brain to keep them going properly.."

MGBV8

Post by MGBV8 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:48 am

Wouldn't worry about it...

There's always all sorts of idiots at car shows.
Best one I ever had... bonnet up at Santa Pod drag strip in my MGB GT Factory V8. Some dude walked up with his kid, counted the HT leads and announced to his offspring "Look son, this one's got a V9"!
I nearly showered Nic with a mouthful of coke!
- Jon.

Current Cars:
'67 Triumph GT6 Mk1 in Royal Blue
'68 Land Rover Series 2A truck cab in Bronze Green
'75 MGB GT V8 in Flamenco Red
'95 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i ES in Black

lock1506

Post by lock1506 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:58 am

Like it! :lol: :lol:

First-Car as Marina

Post by First-Car as Marina » Tue May 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi Chris,

yeah it has been a good car to me. However the oil leak, and other little issues, aren't ideal to just keep ignoring. Also, it's a very solid car, so I don't want to keep driving it about in the rain and make more work for myself in terms of rust problems, and then think if it gets too bad that it's not worth doing (hopefully it won't come to that).

The plan is to strip it down to nothing, get the shell shot blasted, welded where needed, painted. Whilst that's being done I'll be rebuilding the engine, gearbox, back axle, etc and cleaning up the old parts/buy new ones if I think they're past servicing to make it look and run as if its just came out of the factory (that's the plan anyway :think: :lol:).

First two jobs are to built a very big (not sure how big yet) shed to do the work in and start saving :D.

Alex
1976 1.3 DL Coupe - Retired daily after 2.5 years, smashed up, now being fixed (PDA 827R) (Lumpy)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon - Rotting into the front garden, will resume in 2021 (VGV 616K) (Rusty)
1971 1.3 DL Coupe - MOT'ed and on the road, used as much as possible (REW 5K) (Tigger)
2013 Ford Focus Zetec S - Very economical and a great car in general