Wet passenger footwell

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Brenjacques

Wet passenger footwell

Post by Brenjacques » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:00 am

Hi, i am having trouble with the water tightness of my car. The passenger footwell is getting very wet and today it is almost soaking. The car has a new windscreen seal fitted and it doesn't leak in the usual corner under the glovebox so I think that can be ruled out. What are the other things I should check for or has anyone had the same problem?
Cheers

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Re: Wet passenger footwell

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Have you checked the door seals? They can leak when they get old.
Morris Marina Owners Club: Magazine Editor
'73 MG Marina Turbo Saloon - Back on the road with T16 turbo power
'72 TC Coupe' 'SLK' - 1950cc - Asleep - possible retirement project E.T.A 2049

terrytibbs

Post by terrytibbs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi Brennen
check around wiper spindles on the scuttle panel, try running a thin bead of sillicone round them, ive had 2 marinas leak there.
cheers
Andy

JoshWard

Post by JoshWard » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:50 pm

Better off using proper windscreen type sealant than silicone. Guessing you used plenty of windscreen sealer on the new screen seal? Water can also get in from the doors, remove the door cards and make sure all the sheeting is still in place. My old N reg had a strange problem- the door wasn't sealing against the door sealers because the welds holding the top section of the door frame in place hadn't been ground back.
Club archivist/chief anorak
1936 Ford Model Y- On loan from the CCLP
1967 Triumph Herald
1971 1.3 DL Coupe (VRU362J)
1971 1.3 SDL Coupe (JGC240K)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon (OVW292K)
1971 1.8 SDL Coupe (MCU274K)
1980 Ital 1.3 HL (NPB34W)

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:18 am

My observation.
Someone once told me that the reason my Morris was called a "Marina" was because the boot could hold 26 litres of water after a downpour.
I acknowledged the humour but grudgingly agree that waterproofing was not a major factory success.

I suffered a broken screen on my estate.
I dry fitted a replacement screen just to test that my installation method would work.
It did not seem to leak at all.
However - I removed it again and refitted with the proper Bostik windscreen sealant.
After which it leaked rather badly..??
I then had to pump quite a lot of sealant around the outer edge of the screen rubber to get a similar result to my trial fitment.

I do not know what this means, except that you need to try really hard to make your Marina watertight.
I have also discovered that the outer door glass weatherseals are extremely important if you wish to avoid rust developing in the lower corners of your doors.

Come out with all your guns blazing.!
Take no chances whatsoever with waterproofing if you want your precious classic to last.

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Thanks for all of the help! I will have to take a look although rather unfortunate circumstances yesterday now means that the water tightness of the marina is on the back burner. I agree it is fairly difficult to do so I will change the lot and see what happens!