Brake cylinders

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Lecozens

Brake cylinders

Post by Lecozens » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi all,

My front brake cylinder popped today so I need to replace it. Been lookin in my Haynes manual and it has left me bewildered.
I need to order new brake cylinders for my front wheels and have decided ro replace them all. Therefore am I right in thinking I need 4? The bit I'm confused by is it says I need a forward and rear wheel cylinder, are these different things or are they the samealso where is bes to get them from? Ebay?

It's a Mk1 with drum brakes if that makes any difference

jiversteve

Re: Brake cylinders

Post by jiversteve » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:29 pm

If your fronts are drum, your rears should be manual adjusters which changes the slave cylinder, but cars get modified.
Any chance of a picture of front and rear with just the wheel and drum removed. It would help identification no end.
Not a Marina owner, built in 1985 from a 1974 1.8TC MOT failure.
See Marlin History.
http://www.5speedmarina.com
Type 9 gearbox, Vented front discs, Dolly Sprint axle with disc conversion.
Next project? Megajolt?

david painter

Post by david painter » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Having looked in a old brake catalogue I have got, there are three different types an early one with 19mm bore and two later types up to 1973 and 1973 to 1975, both having 22mm bore. The front and rear cylinders are the same on each front brake ie the two left cylinder are the same and the two right cylinders are the same. I am only talking about the front axle when I say front and rear cylinder. It would be best to measure the bore of the cylinders fitted to the car before you start looking for replacements I may be get some part numbers when I am back in work Monday.
Dave

Lecozens

Post by Lecozens » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Thank you both very much.

Managed to pick up and fit new ones yesterday, they were the 22mm ones. Its also resolved other brake issues I didn't even realise I had... but that may of just been because the brakes got cleaned!!!